96 Camaro trans is done for... possibly.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 96 Camaro trans is done for... possibly.

Its a 4l60e with almost 110k miles. Was slipping and bucking real bad on the way to class this morning so i turned around and brought it home. This was the first time it had done this. After coming home from school i drove it down my street about a 1/10 a mile and turned around to try and gather as much info on what was going on and when i turned in my driveway i heard a loud knock under the car followed by a grinding type noise (almost like loose parts inside the trans/ bellhousing area) and I no longer had any drive gears including reverse. Now if i turn the key and attempt to start it it makes the same loose parts and/or grinding-ish noise. What do you guys think? Where should I start?

BTW after the thud or knock i spoke of there were signs of trans fluid leaking. Not pouring out but leaking a fair amount.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You blew out your front pump and probably the converter. When things start coming a part in a trans the little metal pcs will do a lot of damage to other componets. The fix is a simple.
Step one will be remove the trans,
Step two rebuild or replace everything,
Step three install trans.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear member

I think you are right i thought it was the converter but didnt know why it went. Is there a shop or company you could recommend for a rebuilt trans? Ive never rebuilt a trans before and i dont have the time to rebuild it, i use the car daily and need a new trans for it asap

Old 07-26-2012, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear member

I read the write up craby did already, but i'll also probably make a seperate thread when i actually swap the trans out so you guys can help me out if i have questions.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear member

I bought my trans from www.transmissioncenter.net

I got the "Quadzilla" 4L80 with billet components for less then i could get a rebuild on my TH350 here for.

Have a look might be worth your while

Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Also if it turns out to be you grenaded all your clutch discs inside of the trans, make sure you clean out the valve body real good. I just had issues with this on a TH350 i rebuilt for my toyota 4x4. Cleaned the valve body out as good as i could and it still had some issues with the shifting, ended up i bought a TCI valve body and it cleaned it right up.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Yea, take that thing out and take it apart ur dam self, and see what your working with, I can guarantee Some parts are still reusable, if u have questions on anything pm me, I rebuilt my 4l60e a month ago and it runs great.

First things first. Drain oil pan and uninstall the 2 mounts holding the tailshaft of the trans, then get a 3/8 ratchet, 12 inch extention and u joint and unbolt the 6 hellhousing bolts, (while having the trans supported a bit of course.. Slip the trans back and rotate the flywheel until u see and remove the 3 TC to Flywheel bolts.. Then trans should be urs once u disconnect the 2 cooling lines and unplug the harness that runs to the Vss and right side of trans, and ul have to disconnect the driveshaft from the rear dif so u can pull the driveshaft out of the tailshaft.. Its very simple, just a little tough.. Safety first

Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear member

O and u need 2 12" extensions for the 2 hard to get to bellhousing bolts

Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear member

This is a little late but here is an update. The trans is rebuilt and back in. A friend of my dads rebuilt it for us because i've been to busy to fool with it myself. The bellhousing was cracked in half and the trans had backed out some. It appears that the crack spread over time and when it finnally broke all the way the converter was torn up from contacting part of the bellhousing and put a good amount of metal inside the trans. We found a case/bellhousing for 100 bucks and had the guy swap out everything into the new case. He said that the only time he has seen a trans do that is from drag racing lol. I guess I may have had something to do with that lol, but he said that since ive put 10k miles on the car since i bought it it may have started then and i finished it off.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

That would be your R/R

Quick Reply: 96 Camaro trans is done for... possibly.