95 Auto Transmission help URGENT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 95 Auto Transmission help URGENT!!! (Update)!

Hey all. I bought a 95 Z28 Camaro here in North Carolina.
When I bought the car, the owner told me that a used transmission was put in it. The engine was also freshly rebuilt.

Here's what my transmission is doing:
1. When shifting between any gear it hesitates.
2. When I'm maintaining speed at around 40mph the car jerks like the tranny wants to downshift on it's own
3. In 1st gear it works fine and has the right power when I hit the gas.
4. In 2 D or OD it doesn't have the "kick-down" power it does when I'm in 1st gear.
5. Reverse works fine.
6. My speedometer isn't working either.
Could it be the internal gears of the transmission or the controller box? The tranny has the right level of fluid. I know that no other transmission from any year Camaro wil work besides a 94 because of the OBD incompatibility. If it's the wiring do I need to take the granny out to check the wiring harness?

Please help poiny me in the right direction. I need to dive this car back to Canada. I am going to jack the car up and get the bumber off the tranny, and will consult a local transmission expert too but any help and experience you can offer would be great.

Last edited by mrfreez; 08-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by mrfreez
6. My speedometer isn't working either.
Your vehicle speed sensor (VSS), or related circuitry is causing the problem. The transmission shifts up and down based on vehicle speed. That's not working, so I'm not surprised the shifting is messed up, the trans is getting confused. Make sure the VSS is plugged in. If it is, you're going to need to test it. I may have a bookmark for that, hafta look.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks so much for your post. That sensor is leaking bad and wasn't plugged in properly. I plugged it in and still no change. I put the car up on 4 jack stands and went through the gears. I felt it shift through the gears. I still had a vibration I could feel in the tranny when I was holding it at 2500rpm.
While it was in the air I could shift out of park without pressing the brake.

So you think a new vss sensor could fix the problem?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Before dumping money for a new sensor, you should test it. You don't want to start blindly throwing parts at it, even though the sensor doesn't cost all that much. You also would want to check and make sure they put in a compatible year trans. Look at your VSS, does the wiring plug go straight into it (should be), or is the female plug part of the VSS at a right angle? 1994 VSS is the same as yours, 1996 is different. However, I don't know if the plug configurations are the same or not. But that's not to say they didn't "fix" the wiring either. rockauto.com is a good source to look up parts for show & tell.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM
2nd Gear member

The seal in the sensor must be worn because it's leaking. The plug comes straight out. I checked the numbers on the tranny and it is a 95 tranny.

I don't min getting a sensor and trying it bcause my only other alternative is to get a used transmission and replace it. Since I can't get the part until Monday I will test the sensor, but plugged in or not the speedometer doesn't work and I have the issue wuth the tranny being confused.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your speedo not working can be caused by the VSS up to the computer, to the speedo itself. Check your wires coming from the VSS.
One of them could have gotten pinched/grounded or cut during the swap. That's all it would take to mess things up.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should not be much trans fluid in the area where the speed sensor is, there will be a small amount but should not come pouring out if you remove the sensor. anyways if you havent already, take the sensor out and make sure theres a reluctor in there for the sensor to see.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 PM
2nd Gear member

craby the outside was wet but bot pouring out. When I took the sensor out the o-ring was worn pretty bad.
Well here's an update. I changed the Vss sensor and flushed the tranny and changed the filter. It was really due for a change. When I took the vss sensor out it had metal filings on it.
Anyways I don't think I have a tranny issue anymore. Here's what's up:
Car drives perfect for 3 or 4miles. After that I hit a hill and the speedometer stops working and the tranny is confused again. I shut the car off for a few mins and start it up and it runs perfect again and hills no problem. I am thinking it's an electrical issue.
The radio was just taken out with the exposed wires hanging. My horn doesn't work, my bright headlights don't work and I'm not sure if it's related. If anyone can help point me in the right direction I think I can fix the electrical issues easily and get the car working properly. I need to leave Thursday morning so my time is limited. Thanks so much for your help so far it has helped alot!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take the new sensor out and see if it looks like its been getting hit against the reluctor. the torque of the motor on the driveline may be movin the output shaft

Quick Reply: 95 Auto Transmission help URGENT!!!