93 LT1 Z28 Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Exclamation 93 LT1 Z28 Trans Issue

Ill start by saying its not a factory trans its a reman from jasper. When I contacted them I was told it has corvette servo for 1-2. About two weeks ago I changed the trans fluid an filter as routine maintainence. Decent filings found now 1-2 shift is at 4 grand an very hard any input on cause an fix is appreciated.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Sand if u stop the hould also mention all other shifts are rough not nearly as the 1-2 its a 4 speed auto only mod done to car is 3 inch exhaust and shift was a lot smoother before fluid an filter change stock rim tire size but if you come to complete stop pull shifter into low and rev up to 2400 an hold WOT it shifts smoother an faster for 1st to 2nd when you let off feels like it drops into neutral an revs drop to park idle reapply throttle an rpms build back up before it starts pullin again also will not shift into o/d until 70 mph

Old 03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you say "decent filings found", were they metal slivers or the normal metallic sludge stuck to the magnet?
Also, what type of tranny fluid did you use (full details, not just name brand).

Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you sure you got the old filter seal out and did not install the new seal over the old. It is a pretty common mistake. High shift point on a non-computer controled transmission indicate a drop in pressure which can be a result of the filter seal sucking air.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 AM

I'm sure I got the old filter seal out and its lucas semi synthetic its a multi application trans fluid for moost transmissions mine is listed on the label an I would call it normal sludge was no pieces in pan just wat was stuck to magnet

Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Ron93LT1
Ill start by saying its not a factory trans its a reman from jasper. When I contacted them I was told it has corvette servo for 1-2. About two weeks ago I changed the trans fluid an filter as routine maintainence. Decent filings found now 1-2 shift is at 4 grand an very hard any input on cause an fix is appreciated.
Sounds like the T/V cable needs adjusted.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That's the first thing that went through my mind. But why the TV cable needs to be reset right after a fluid change makes no sense.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the plugins on the trans and see if they look damaged or such. check the tv cable to see if its broken. mine was doing something similar, took it out and put the stock one back in. have not got the performance trans in the shop yet to see what happened. i think its in the valve body. could be the pump but its a performance pump so im thinkin its not it. you may want to look around the local wrecking yards and see if theres a trans that will work for ya. 93 is a odd year for the auto trans, 4l60 aka 700r4 has a round 5 pin plug and is sorta electronic but not.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 PM

Alright stupid question i know but im new to trans work an im not sure wat the t/v cable is i have checked the plugs an wires running to it none were damaged or unplugged but cleaned all with electronis cleaner an still have same shift 1-2 is at 4000 all the rest are on time an smooth thanks for the help though really saving me money an guess work

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by Ron93LT1
Alright stupid question i know but im new to trans work an im not sure wat the t/v cable is
The TV cable connects the throttle valve to the throttle lever on the transmission. This allows the transmission to change shift points and shift quality depending on throttle valve position and engine load. Improperly adjusted or broken TV cable will make the transmission shift poorly and can result in transmission damage.

Quick Reply: 93 LT1 Z28 Trans Issue