4L60E Torque Converter problems! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Unhappy 4L60E Torque Converter problems! Help!

Hey guys i just recently developed a problem with my 95 Z28 Camaro with the auto tranny. I was driving from a long trip and some ole Rustang wanted to race. Anyway I wooped him but after words I noticed that when it downshifts hard to give me some racing performance it just kinda sticks now. The service engine soon light comes off then shortly shuts off. I took it to a transmission shop (and I don't have a tranny shop that I trust) and they told me that my torque converter is stuck on. I belive them but is there any way to get it "unstuck"? If there is not a way then what route should I go about? I know my tranny is solid and shifts flawless but they said the problem will get worse and that my fluid is burnt. I don't wanna hurt the tranny but I dont trust them to sell me some crap or do something to the tranny when they take it out to get to the torque converter. Also is it possible to get a beefier torque converter? Any advice would be much appreciated. If you know any good people or shops in Phoenix AZ that could do this for cheap please recomend!
OH! And also is there a possibility that these have a solenoid that is bad. I saw in the tech for tanny's that the TCC always locked on code could be one of three problems. A short in the solenoid too or easy fix in the pan. How would I be able to tell if its the solenoid? Because if it were the solenoid then that would mean a much cheaper fix!
Thanks guys!

Old 09-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Droid

The TCC solenoid can be changed without having to remove the transmission but you should get a service manual as the procedure is a little involved. The TCC is solenoid is operated by a ground applied by the PCM, so you may want to look for a grounded control lead before tearing into the solenoid removal.

The TCC is not designed to hold the full torque of the engine, as the system is designed to release the TCC when you stomp on the gas pedal. If the TCC slips the transmission fluid will overheat, the clutch material will disintegrate and dirty up the transmission fluid and cause other parts to fail.

Reasons for the TCC to fail to release:

External ground on control lead (from PCM to TCC solenoid)
Clogged exhaust fluid orifice (TCC solenoid, dirt in oil)
Internal damage (torque converter assembly)
Clutch apply valve stuck in apply position (valve body)
Converter clutch valve stuck (transmission oil pump)

Enjoy!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

But but but...if the TCC fails to unlock, the engine will want to kill as he comes to a stop. And he wasn't describing coming to a stop.
Alex, I don't quite get what you mean by: "when it downshifts hard to give me some racing performance it just kinda sticks now". Are you saying it hangs in a lower gear and doesn't upshift?

Old 09-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Droid

True, but if the TCC was slipping at WOT, it most likely got burned up and no longer doing anything important, assuming the transmission shop diagnosis is true. But, then again, what Alex is trying to say is not all that clear.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I am always happy at all the knowledgeable people on here. Ok I'll try to describe this a little more carefully.
The car drives fine AS LONG AS I don't open up to WOT. It shifts fine, drives fine, and doesn't seem to have ANY other problems. The ONLY time I notice the problem is at WOT or building up into the RPM's in any gear. I have the code pulled and they had the TCC always on code. So the car is fine until like he mentioned above the TCC should be releasing but is not. It feels like I am not going anywhere even though I am still going somewhere faster than most cars (hahahaha)
The service engine soon light will kick on when I leave it up in the high RPM range for too long and then if I let off the gas, it will shut off after the cars changes gears.
The car does not die or feel like it is going to die when I am coming to a stop.
I do have the money to have to the torque converter replaced, but somehow i just have the feeling that the shop may just want to do the "BIG" job.
I will take it to the shop that I trust and hopefully they will be able to figure it out. If the torque converter itself went bad, then would it be a seriously noticeable problem when driving the car? I have driven the car 200 miles since I first noticed that I could no longer open up at WOT and it does not seen to be getting any worse.
Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM

I will also try and take a video of this problem and post a link to youtube or if it is possible have it posted directly from here.
I am saying yes it does not upshift becuase it is not really going anywhere. Normally it will tear through the band and shift, but now it just stays stuck high in the band without moving the car faster, and not upshifting. When the problem first occured I could get it to upshift if I left it high in the band, but after trying it a bunch of times to see if it would go away, it is now worse and will not upshift.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 PM

Bahahahahahahaha
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!
Ok so I took it to AAMCO Transmission shop, and this is where I got them to pull the code and tell me that I need to torque converter replaced and that while I am at it that I should get the tranny rebuilt and that the total cost of this would be around 2300.
Ok now get this... did some searching on some good transmission shops around my area in phoenix az......
I went to (AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND) State to State Transmissions. Bill MacMaster is the Owner/Manager. THAT GUY WILL NOT STEER YOU WRONG! I had read plenty of reviews on this place before deciding to go there and, well I am so happy I went. I mean what transmission shop can you go to and basically say "hey, I think I need a new torque converter, check it out!" And they come back and say, "No dude, all you need is a FUEL FILTER!"
"ALL I NEED IS A FUEL FILTER!?!?!?!?"
Yup so those guys at AAMCO not only sold me on a product that wasnt the issue but the tried to sell me an EVEN BIGGER job that still was not the issue.
SCREW YOU AAMCO IN SCOTTSDALE ON SCOTTSDALE ROAD!
My fuel filter was the issue.
Thanks guys

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
But but but...if the TCC fails to unlock, the engine will want to kill as he comes to a stop. And he wasn't describing coming to a stop.
Alex, I don't quite get what you mean by: "when it downshifts hard to give me some racing performance it just kinda sticks now". Are you saying it hangs in a lower gear and doesn't upshift?
And you were ABSOLUTELY correct about the car dying when coming to a stop if the torque converter were stuck on. Thumbs up to you!

Old 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM

I agree nice call man. I unfortunately ran a toggle to lock/unlock my tcc. and i have forgot to turn it off coming to a stop and yes it does want to die, n sometimes it does. but also another grats on it just has to be grounded to complete the circuit to lock the torque converter

Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear member

i read that 4l60s are tired to the same area as the MAFS and that kinda has to do with efi and all of that. and at wot the ses light flashing or coming on then going off is telling you its leaning out or not burning all of it and fuel is getin on the o2 sensor... so i have heard. so it does make sense fuel filter can affect too many different sensors to be dumb

Quick Reply: 4L60E Torque Converter problems! Help!