1996 t56 need help diagnosing!

Old 02-12-2016, 05:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1996 t56 need help diagnosing!

Hello everyone. Here's the deal, when releasing the clutch as I measure it out while I applying gas, I feel and hear a grinding type noise coming from below the radio nearly under my shifter and also under my gas peddle. It feels as if something is breaking. Here's a better example, as a kid in school did you ever play tether ball and twist the he'll out of the chain ( not wrapping it around the pole) and then letting it untangle. Well that same noise like pop/grind noise is what I hear. Any help, I don't want to just throw my money away before choosing a rebuild. Can it be low fluid causing this?
I also just rebuilt my motor and installed headers LT, ORY, catback. And it all started when I installed the exhaust system.

UPDATE UPDATE!!! : I've now noticed that when not only in first gear does the grinding occur, but when I switch gears and step on it; it tends to also grind on all gears!

Last edited by alex5366; 02-20-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Does it only do it when the clutch is engaged? Does it do it still with the trans in neutral?

Does it do it in all gears, including reverse?

Video of the sound would help as well. We did not have tether ***** where I grew up.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Does it only do it when the clutch is engaged? Does it do it still with the trans in neutral?

Does it do it in all gears, including reverse?

Video of the sound would help as well. We did not have tether ***** where I grew up.
Yes, only when letting out the clutch in first gear.
No, does not grind nor make noise while in neautral.
Before my crank went out, it would sometimes grind on third when shifting fast or sometimes kick back out.
Will try to get a video up soon, I do not know how to upload on here.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:36 PM
4th Gear Member

Upload it to photobucket or Youtube and then post the link.

So the way I'm reading this is, it only does it while letting the clutch out and in gear but if your shifter is in neutral and you let the clutch in and out, it does not do it.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Upload it to photobucket or Youtube and then post the link.

So the way I'm reading this is, it only does it while letting the clutch out and in gear but if your shifter is in neutral and you let the clutch in and out, it does not do it.
Yes'sir. Only while letting it out and applying gas. Other than that it does not grind. It's like a if something is dry and is having a hard time turning or twisting that it makes the grinding noise. For example if you push a house wooden door all the way back to the point where it is breaking and you hear some noise/popping/grinding, well similar to that. I don't think it's my clutch reason being it was pulled when my motor was out and the shop said it still had half life left?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Without hearing it is hard to say but ANY grinding noise coming from a manual transmission is not going to be cheap or easy to fix. Don't drive it. As the bearing fails the gears start to move away from each other, the farther away the gears are the weaker part of he gears are driving the car. Once those teeth break metal get jammed up and before to long the price of replace the gears is higher then the price of new Trans.

A single new gear can be from $300-$700 and if the cluster gear goes it can be another $1200.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Without hearing it is hard to say but ANY grinding noise coming from a manual transmission is not going to be cheap or easy to fix. Don't drive it. As the bearing fails the gears start to move away from each other, the farther away the gears are the weaker part of he gears are driving the car. Once those teeth break metal get jammed up and before to long the price of replace the gears is higher then the price of new Trans.

A single new gear can be from $300-$700 and if the cluster gear goes it can be another $1200.
Quick update: I've now noticed that when not only in first gear does the grinding occur, but when I switch gears and step on it; it tends to also grind on all gears!