suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default suspension question

ok i bought the car with lowering springs on it and i dont like it the rear end looks like it sits lower than the front.

I was wondering if anyone knows what would happen if i put moog variable rate on the back and the lowering on the front. Or is there a way to get the rear end up a little higher

does it look ok or does it look dumb

because if i have even 1 person in the back the tires rub once in a while if i have 2 it rubs every little bump and im scared of a blow out and tires aint cheap

Old 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM
2nd Gear member

I would assume if u put a set of stock springs in the back, the ride height would go up in the back, and be a little softer. It may make the nose of the car point down some. Not sure if it would be enough to cause any problems, and also not sure how the handling of the car as a whole would respond.

Do u have really wide tires in the rear, and does it rub on the inside or the outside of the tire. Could be the tire is too wide and u need the BFH (big friggin hammer) mod to the inner wheel well.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah thats what im assuming but i live in an area where you have to walk the car in anything and then its lowered on top of that. I was also wondering if it would make it look dumb

unfortunatly i have 275/40/r17 on the back and 225/40/r17 on the front

Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Whether it looks dumb or not is up to your own taste. Try jacking up the rear body of the car a few inches to get an idea of what it will look like. Pick a spot on te body not the axle so u get a read idea, your only lifting it an inch or two that shouldn't hurt anything as long as u pick something metal and not a body panel.

How far is it lowered? I think there are guys in here who have that size tire on the back and lowering springs and everything fits fine, there may be an alignment issue or the car is just really really low....or maybe something else haha.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like someone put some 2" drop springs in. may have cut springs. better have a look at whats under there. make sure your isolators are still between the spring and body. measure from the ground to your fender at the center of the wheels. stock is in the 27 inch range. 4th gens set lower on the passenger side, 1/4 inch or so. some say to make car level with driver only.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont mind low but this is too low for my liking the y pipe scrapes everything

here is the side pic i got

The passenger measured 25 1/2" and driver is 26 1/2" roughly

Old 12-16-2014, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Depending on how old the springs are or how much load was put on them they could be sagging that far.

Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

that picture and measurements to there was no weight and nothing but the spare tire and jack in the back

Old 12-16-2014, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by CountTripula
that picture and measurements to there was no weight and nothing but the spare tire and jack in the back
Sorry, I should have been more clear, I meant the springs could be sagging because they are worn out and can't hold the weight of the car up.

Whatever the reason changing the rear springs is simple.

Last edited by v64thgen; 12-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member

thats kinda why i was asking if it would look dumb cause money is tight due to holidays and can only do the rear first then the front

Quick Reply: suspension question