Phantom Squeeking from rear

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM
Default Phantom Squeeking from rear

So about 15 miles into my road trip the other day, a random obnoxious squeeking started up and hasn't gone away. At first I thought it was my exhaust hanger that I jury-rigged but found out that once I got underneath it, it seemed to be coming from my shock. I personally replaced my shocks with bilsteins several months ago, however I didn't torque them down properly so I figured they had just jiggled lose, being how poorly 02 Camaro's take bumpy roads. I needed my exhaust welded together as it was, so while at the shop I asked them to torque the shocks in the rear down properly for me. When I got it back they said that it was still squeaking after that and they weren't sure what it was.

Has anyone else had this problem? Every bump I hit makes it squeak, and you can hear it when you pop the hatch and push down on the rear of the car (so I know it's not the hatch). I have a suspicion that either my shocks are toast for some reason, or my springs are squeaking. I just didn't think that springs would squeak so consistently and with every little bump.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well after driving me freaking crazy for a month awhile back i found my spare was "squeaking" just an idea for you. Annoying as heck hope you find yurs!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Mine was doing the exact same thing. Turns out it was that rear suspension bar (the one that looks like a 15 degree angle haha) the drivers side bushing on the bar was busted and the bolt had came lose- I tightened it and I haven't had a problem sense.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I had/have a squeaking problem, too. I replaced my shocks with KYB's a while back and when I did, I also dropped the car 1.5" with some lowering springs. Squeak? Gone. However, the car sat soooooo freaking low that I'd bottom out just about everywhere-go figure with how BAD the roads are here in CA. So, I put the old springs back in and guess what? Squeak returned. I'm no mechanic, but it seems like a simple conclusion to me. Try new springs, maybe?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Make it easy on yourself and get a friend to "jump" up and down on the rear while you take a looksy under the car to find the squeak. This makes it a lot easier than trying to do it by yourself. Take a can of WD40 with you while you're down there.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Just a quick FYI: my buddy has an '02 WS6. He's had the same problem. Source? Springs.