Car leaning to one side????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Default Car leaning to one side????????

Hi guys... I'm a newbie here. My '99 Camaro V-6 has a problem. It is about an inch lower on the passenger side than the drivers side. I have replaced the shocks/struts and also the springs and it is still the same way. I bought the car used so I assumed it had been wrecked. Took it to the body shop yesterday and they said it had NOT been wrecked. The frame checked out beautifully with no signs of any type off repairs. What could possibly be the trouble? Thanks in advance guys!! G-o-d bless!! (Why did they want to block G-o-d before I put in the "-"????????????)

Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Car leaning to one side????????

Check the front subframe.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:47 PM

OK. Check it for what exactly? Sorry, I know near nothing about this.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Tech Droid

Front subrame or engine cradle, that is where the lower control arm is attached to. It can get bent if you hit a really nice pothole, also need to look at the suspension lower and upper control arms for damage. Also take the car to a good front end shop & have them look it over. Is the rear sitting level, or is it also sagging to one side?

Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 PM

Actually, the rear of the car is what is leaning and not so much the front. Another reason I thought the car might have been wrecked is because I have tried to have the front end aligned twice at different places and the last place said they adjusted it as far as they could but it still pulls to the left. Thanks again for your help and time!! G-o-d bless!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

most likely the panhard bar is bent or just the bushings are bad. The panhard bar is what makes the rear of the car sit level. It bolts onto the rear end on the driver side and runs up at an angle and bolts onto another bracket behind the muffler on the passenger side.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Tech Droid

Did the alignment shop check the thrust angle? Something is bent, worn out, or missing in the rear suspension. A bent panhard rod will make the body sit off center over the axle, so that should be easy to pick up. Also look for bent lower contrl arms as the will make the car dog track and pull. Check for bent spring pads, check the condition of the upper spring cushons and spring seats, as they will cause changes in ride heght. Check all bushings. If all fails find the services of a good crash shop. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:57 PM

did you ever find out the reason why its leaning? i have the SAME problem. please let me know. thanks, james fonjo@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Hey, I know its been a long time, but did either of you make any interesting progress with your leaning?.... cuz i'm in the same boat!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow i know something pete doesnt. the cars are made to be lower on the passinger side to make up for the drivers weight on the driver side. i guess chevy didnt think anyone would ride on the passenger side. lol.

Last edited by craby; 07-22-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Car leaning to one side????????