94 Z28 not level

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 94 Z28 not level

94 Camaro Z28 was not sitting/driving level. Replaced all springs/shocks/struts and still the right side is one inch lower at rear wheel and 3/4" lower at front wheel. Changing these made no difference. Is it possible a sway bar is bent or defective? Should I remove front or rear sway bars to see if it then sits level?
Thanks

Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

4th gen camaro's set about 1/2 inch lower on the passenger side from the factory. it is said that its designed that way so its level with a driver. 3/4 seems like it may be within range but 1 inch is to much. have you noticed any damage to the sway bars or there mounts

Old 11-23-2012, 01:03 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

maybe a spring isolator is stuck also, have you tried shaking the car back and forth to settle teh suspension a bit?

Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have looked at both sway bars and they look OK. I have driven the car several times after installing the springs and it has not changed. I have noticed some of the bushings in the front suspension on the lower control arms are worn and thin, will this cause 3/4 inch in front and an inch in the rear? This is very noticeable going down the road, it leans right.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just so we have this right. level ground, measure from ground/pavement to the lip of the fender at about the center of the wheel. should be measuring as close to the same spot as you can on each fender. are all the wheels and tires the same? is the air pressure the same?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, level ground, measure from ground to lip of fender at center of wheel. Tires are almost new and match and American chrome wheels and checked tire pressure. Had the same problem before changing tires/wheels. Car has 72,000 miles, I have noticed some almost rotten lower control arms bushings in front. Maybe something in the front/rear suspension is binding or sticking with age?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Terry
This is very noticeable going down the road, it leans right.
How do you know that for sure, you have someone chasing you with a tape measure? What are the measurements with you sitting in the drivers seat?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your not off that much, 1/4 or so inch. like i said we do set high on the driver side. could be the bushings are not letting it return all the way but it seems odd that it would not do it on both sides. any indication the car has been in a wreck. bent frame would do it, spring perch damaged, sway bar ajusted uneven or is damaged. how about weight, anything heavy on that side that is not there stock? or something not there that should be stock.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I don't think the sway bars will cause this. You can remove one link of the sway bar to see is level out.

Since it off so far you should be able to find the issue with tape measure and a angle gage. Just start comparing distance and angles to see what is different and what is the same. Is there any chance you are missing the spacer above the spring on the rear coil? If I remember right that is about 1" thick.

Measurment should be taken from the frame with 180lbs in the driver seat. Fenders tend to get adjusted for cosmedic reason and if the car was in a fender bender it can be way off with no real issue to the car.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Only changes to car is air filter and muffler, no weight changes. Have not yet measured with driver yet. My brother followed me for quite a while on a 20 mile cruse and he noticed the right front is lower and/or raised in the left rear going down the road. I will replace the front suspension bushings on the control arms this week to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the help, I will report back after replacing the bushings.

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 not level