V8 in my RS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 PM
Default V8 in my RS?

I have a '96 RS and I have a 350 Chevy vortec out of 97 gmc 1500. Yes I know the z-28 had the lt1 but I have the engine sitting here and I'm itching for that v8. Now I know that I need the k member from a z-28. And I need to fool the vortecs computer with my alarm system. I was curious what we're the differences between the z-28 and the rs? Things like suspension, exhaust, rear end? Would love some info before I start on this endeavor. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM

I also know that the vortec needs some modifications to fit in the stock hood. But hell I'm even hearing that the spoilers on the standard rs and z28 are all different.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 AM
4th Gear Member

You need the complete front suspension out of a V8 car, the transmission, the y-pipe would most likely need custom made, you would need someone to custom wire the computer in because your V6 computer will not work and a computer from a V8 Camaro will not either because the ignition systems are different.

You will have to cut some of the cowl to get the distributor to fit. You also need a new hood to get the intake/throttle body combo to fit since it sits on top the engine instead of the front.

What you are thinking is not as easy as it sounds, nor is a cost effective. You can find a reasonably mileage Z28 in good condition for cheaper than you will pay to make that truck engine fit.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:52 PM
4th Gear Member

what about the rearend to is that different,yes you can read about my engine swap it sound like you may even more mods ,there a lot to them like MC said there out there .looking back I had seen in my case 1976 gen 2 may have been the better choise ,but it can be done

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-07-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The computer system is the biggest problem but not the only problem. It is not just your VAT system it is everything. Your PCM controls VATs, ABS, Air bags and your body control model. Not to mention your V6 transmission will not bolt onto the V8 and the V8 transmission is lacking a torque arm mount.

The easiest and cheapest way to put a V8 in you V6 car is to buy a wrecked Z28 the same year and just switch everything over. It would be much less work, cheaper and faster and get better gas mileage.

After saying that, if your V6 is working good don't screw it up. You can find complete Z28's with blown head gaskets or a bad opti for around a $1000 and fix that car in a weekend with much less technical know how and when you are done the both cars a worth book value. You Frankenstein your RS it will cost you more and in the end the car will be worth less then it cost you to do the conversion. Converted cars are almost always worth more in parts then as a whole.

If you really want to do a project with that 350 go grab a 3rd gen. They are cheap. Any tuner can program out everything and just keep the engine and transmission part of the PCM. Since the older 3rd gens had no computers your PCM does not need to talk to any other system.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-07-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:44 PM

I swear the only part of that, that is even close to true is the **** about the computer. The transmissions in the stock camaros and z28s? Exact same. Coincidently, that what was hooked up to my vortec. All this bull about suspensions being different? Guess what, look up parts for both models? Oh how could this be? They're the same too! The only goddam **** I need is the k member, which I knew from the get-go. Y'all ****as full of ****, peace.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:07 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedMaroRising
I swear the only part of that, that is even close to true is the **** about the computer. The transmissions in the stock camaros and z28s? Exact same. Coincidently, that what was hooked up to my vortec. All this bull about suspensions being different? Guess what, look up parts for both models? Oh how could this be? They're the same too! The only goddam **** I need is the k member, which I knew from the get-go. Y'all ****as full of ****, peace.
The spring rates for between the V6 and Z models are different, mostly because the engine weight between the two is different but also because the Z is more performance oriented. A parts computer system will list them as the same because it is considered an upgrade for the V6 to put Z parts on. Therefore, the computer lists Z parts and Z parts only where they will fit without issues.

The transmissions are different. Yes, they are both 4L60E's, but the bell housing bolt pattern is different. So no, you're V6 4L60E will not bolt up to the V8. However, a LT1 V8 trans will bolt up to a Gen 1 engine no problem because it is the same bolt pattern and vise versa but a trans out of anything other than a 3rd or 4th gen Camaro will not work without a tunnel mount torque arm.

You are insulting people who know a lot more about these Camaros than you do because if you knew what we knew, then you would not be asking these questions. Do I know everything about them? No. But I know enough that what you are planning will not work. But don't take my word for it. Go and try it yourself and see how things work and become a money pit. As Gorn said it is much easier to take a same year Z and swap everything over from it. Even then though the car does not have the same value because it is not a true Z28. It will have even less value with a non-stock engine in it because it will be considered a hack job unless it is done perfect and even then some will still consider so.

As far as your question goes about the rear ends. Yes, the stock V6 rear end will work. Yes it is the same as the Z rear end with the exception that the Z rear got Limited slip (positive-traction) and usually better gearing as well as disc brakes. But for all intense and purposes, your rear end will work.

We are here to help and in this case, attempt to save you money and time. But if you really want to go for it, then you better take our advice and get everything that is needed.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:29 AM
4th Gear Member
Default iwas wrong

did you look at my thread there not full of it they no what they are talking about ,I got a computer from a 1995 $20.00 pm me ,or you can buy them online ,there right if you read my thread only diffrence is I went carbed as you go along you will find there are a bit more right about things then you think ,the only thing you have to change it just about everything ,yes certain things you can make them work wiith mods mods an more mods,i was upset when I found I needed a tranny ,an a lot more,look at the older thread whear a guy was going to put a v8 in v6 ,then there is one the guy did it but he striped down the hole car took a few months ,suspention an everything wireing,I highly advise you to look at all the prodjects section an see how right they are ,even with z28 mine was tough ,could have kept alot of thing but still would have been a ***** ,yes apraisel insurance for mine at 13000.00 ,I started at $5000.00 an spent over $8000.00 ,though I figure mine like this it was paid for for near 2 years ,so at $200,00 per month 2.5 years ,its paid for again,cant own hot rod for that or a new one ,cant own a sport car for $200,00 unless its Honda ???,I figure why put a used engine in there to,an that will include the rearend built to handle 400+ hp,its different strokers for different folksters ,I hope to feel I did ok ,but like I said read all the threads about swaps projects ,an check out the z28 forum ,it a rare thing your trying to do couse of the work involved ,my mech had 80+ hours in it but could not charge me that much ,me I had 60 hours+ in research an getting parts ,up to 530am stuff,like they said over 100,000 there out there find one cheap a z28 that is ,or you could build v6 up at a cost to,right now mine is only worth something to me

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-08-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: me dummy hehehehehe
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You have no clue what you are talking about. I would love to watch you bolt a v6 transmission to a V8. Just because two transmission are the same model does not mean in any way shape or from they are the same.

Please by all means do a build thread I need a good laugh. A guy that does even know V8 and V6's have different transmission is telling a GM certified master tech he is full of it. LOL.

This might help you understand. The below link shows what needs swapped IF you had a LT1 and PCM. To the best of my knowledge no has written a how to on other V8's because it is way to complicated. Look at the information at the bottom of the page. Even if you had a 1997 LT1 engine and PCM to make everything you need to swap out the "D" Dash and "W" All the wiring harness in the dash. It is possible but not normally something someone should try if they dont know V6 and V8 transmission can't swap.
http://www.tacreationsusa.com/3_4_3_8_v6_to_lt1.htm

Last edited by Gorn; 09-08-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Having done an LT1 swap from a 3.4, the v6's are 60* motors while the v8 are 90*, there is never going to be a way to use one on another