Newbie to a 95 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Newbie to a 95 Z28

Hey guys, just came home with a 95 Z 159K miles, auto.
And it's purple. (like the commercial) not so much puuuuurple.

Don't really like the color, nor the auto, BUT for what I paid, I love it already!

It has some dings and stuff, which is normal for age I'd assume, but figure I'd just put a thread title up and if I can't find something by searching, maybe I can get a bone or two tossed my way...hell I'd even take a hint, or a pointer lol

thanks!

there's a cell pic.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay---Question time lol

I got to digging around, and have a fairly short list of parts to get. The seat belt guide on the passenger side is gone, and I have a solid type one on the driver side, but actually like that split style I see on ebay. Anyone know if they are the same size? I don't see why they wouldn't be close, but knowing my luck, the split open style will be too long, and I'll bust my window out on them lol

The console lid and the console is broke, I think.. There seems to be busted parts on both sides, that sucks, the dealership has the armrest part, I have 1 camaro in a junk yard, and it's gutted, so no dice there... and the dealership has a price tag of just under 210!!!! that's dollars, I thought maybe they meant pesos!!

The plate that holds the cig lighter is broken, so I need to find that, and it needs bolted in, that screw is missing, no biggie..

There needs to be a stereo at some point, but I love the sound of the motor so much, it's not a priority lol

The driver seat has some wobble front to back, so I'm thinking that will need replaced at some point, it's got a couple dime sized snags out of it anyway.

The Tops let 1 drip in under a car wash hose, so I actually got lucky there woo hoo!!!

And then underneath, i noticed what looks like water on the front of the motor, and heard a hiss sound, the sound of drips hitting something hot. I freaked out, was under changing the bulbs for the driving/fog lights.. what i see, it's just the a/c compressor. I had just ran down the highway.

I have a friend with an identical car, but it was a 6speed, and has been programmed, headers I think, skip shift bypassed, bigger injectors, catback on it, stage 2 clutch in it, the ram air hood that was mated up with the ws6 style air box so it is functional. it was a lot of bolt on stuff, she didn't crack the engine open and do anything major to the block..anyways, i kind of know some about these lt1 motors, but not a lot, and nothing about the tranny, which is where these questions come from--->
Do these things not do a burnout in a straight line on dry pavement? Mine will doughnut, and powerslide fine with any sort of turning the wheel, but straight line, it just launches, which is fine, but the 2nd gear shift seems harsh, and it gets a good bark out of the tires, and i worry that the tranny is slipping, or is that fairly normal? That problem is only a WOT, normal driving is fine, so I really only noticed when I test drove it, and then when the 4 or 5 people who wanted to go for a ride did the whole "c'mon, how fast is it?" thing.
It goes into reverse fine, doesn't seem to bounce, or hop, pop, shimmy, whatever you'd want to call it, it feels fine and smooth at all other times. I am assuming that means it's okay, but I'm going to do filter and fluid just to do it, that never hurts (watch it hurt this time lol).. but I want to be sure I either need to worry, or don't need to worry, this being unsure about worrying is killing me lol

thanks guys!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

There's a front pic, notice the missing paint? I'm thinking the easiest way to cover that is just put the stripes up the thing.. the black isn't a problem to fix, but with years of fade, I don't see a touchup working on that paint, it's going to end up needing complete new paint.. ugh.
So, maybe black stripes up it? what'cha think?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The project section is for people that have large projects like engine swap or restoration. You should post your questions in the General 4th gen section there is a lot more traffic there.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13 AM

I know this is a pretty old thread but for those interior peace's you are looking for check out hawksthirdgen.com they have pretty much everything.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM

I see your problems and can relate to your transmission issues. I myself just purchased a 1999 SS camaro I got really lucky found it on auto trader bright red not a scratch on it looks like it just came off the show room floor only has 90,000 miles but its an automatic and that is where the weakest link in the drive train is. They just didnt build it stout enough for the power of the engine so I am putting in a high performance transmission in mine you should do the same its not cheap though around 2 grand. Sounds like you got a good car minus the transmission.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSFANATIC
I see your problems and can relate to your transmission issues. I myself just purchased a 1999 SS camaro I got really lucky found it on auto trader bright red not a scratch on it looks like it just came off the show room floor only has 90,000 miles but its an automatic and that is where the weakest link in the drive train is. They just didnt build it stout enough for the power of the engine so I am putting in a high performance transmission in mine you should do the same its not cheap though around 2 grand. Sounds like you got a good car minus the transmission.
I thought the rear end was the weak link on these cars?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is no weak link in the 4th gen. trans and rearend are made to handle 350 hp. if abused the either can fail, imo the rear is more likely to fail first. that is not always the case.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

ahh...good to hear. I thought I read on here someone saying the rear end was junk on these cars. I believe someone who grenaded his doing burnouts???

Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do a bunch of candy canes on the pavement and see which one gives out first. My money is on the rearend!

Quick Reply: Newbie to a 95 Z28