My 95 Camaro Rebuild!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear member
Default My 95 Camaro Rebuild!!!

Some of you already know that I had a controller arm separate from the rear of the car last summer. It was due to road construction that had no sign or warning. The city said they weren't at fault and weren't giving me and financial compensation for it.
I pondered during the winter to see if I was going to get rid of it or not. Well, I decided to fix it at the auto club. I'm taking the engine out as well and re-doing the seals and gaskets and cleaning it all up.
Day 1 of the project I drained the coolant and disconnected the hoses, sensors and wiring. I'm taking my time and will hopefully be done in a month or 2.

Got the interior stripped:

I got on the hoist and took out the tranny, driveshaft and mid section of the car. I also unbolted the exhaust. All that's left now is unbolting the subframe and dropping the engine!

I got the engine out finally! It was 4 hours of intense work, but the engine finally came out! I'm the handsome guy on the left. My buddy who helped me is on the right. Here are the pics:

The engine:

Progress update! The engine is off the subframe. I took the spindles off, power steering rack and controller arms off the subframe as well. In the meantime my fiancé has been helping me by sandblasting parts. The first pic is of my header after it came out of the sandblaster!

I started this on April 1st. I couldn't work on the car Easter weekend. So everything you see done up to this point is 12 days of work.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM
2nd Gear member

62 views and no repies! pffffft!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Good start

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear member

I'd be so pissed if that happened to me. (The control arm situation)

Must be nice to use a lift for the project though.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

Looking good so far freeze. What type green is your color? Keep us updated.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks for the replies! My Camaro is metallic green. The controller arm sucks, but at least the car will be solid when I'm done. I'm lucky to have the place I do to work on it.

Update!
I moved the car into the body bay tonight. It took awhile to move my interior and all the stuff I took off the car. Here's a pic of where she is living now, and the engine on the stand with my parts underneath! The body work will start next week. This week is tearing apart the engine. Im out of town teaching Monday & Tuesday next week so won't have time to work on it.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Man, thats some awesome progress youve got going there. At this rate you will be back together and on the road in no time. also.... Nice pics.

Keep up the good work!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks Scooch! I'm hoping to have it back on the road by the end of May.

Well, took the valve covers and lower intake off today. I saw why you should never use stop-leak in your rad! It actually clogs up your engine! In the lower intake where the thermostat goes the 2 holes were almost plugged up completely! The last picture shows the clogging in the lower intake. The valves and rockers look in pretty good shape though!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

yep, my son jeeps had a leak and everybody said put stop leak in it... it'll clog the hole! I said yea, and everything else too! those are great Pics to prove the point.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Some more updates! I almsost have the engine completely apart. Just the timing cover to come off.

I put my lower intake and valve covers in the sandblaster! They came out really nice!

Quick Reply: My 95 Camaro Rebuild!!!