Looking for some education. 99z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 03:33 PM
Default Looking for some education. 99z28

So I have decided to make me a sleeper. I have a true cold air intake and a racing exhaust. That's all that's been done so far. My viper enthusiasts buddy said next best thing (he would do) is get a dynamic tune with a fairly nice chip. Either way I don't know what would be my best move to make a true OMG sleeper. Sudgestions?

Old 04-29-2015, 07:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, you have a camaro ls1,,, i dont think sleeper is on the menu for you. sorry, you would need to look at turbo or nos to get a real sleeper effect. to get the most from what you have i would recommend a dyne tune, if cost or access is an issue a mail tune at a place like Home | PCM for Less i prefer this one http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com

Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 PM

To do a Dyne tune would i have to provide the chip? I was looking at some turbos as well. But you're right, z28 kind of gives it away, but I'm not going to do anything to the body. For instance, my hood doesn't have the scoop in it and keeping factory rims. No spoiler so on and so forth.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no chip, you have the ecm or in your case pcm tuned. 93 was the last year to use the mem cal aka chip.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by katniss99
To do a Dyne tune would i have to provide the chip? I was looking at some turbos as well. But you're right, z28 kind of gives it away, but I'm not going to do anything to the body. For instance, my hood doesn't have the scoop in it and keeping factory rims. No spoiler so on and so forth.
what is your goal?

To say "sleeper" is nebulous at best. It would mean one thing to me and perhaps something else to you.

if you want a sleeper, go get a 2003 Buick Century as they had the same weight of about a Mustang as the same year.

Then, convert it to rear wheel drive with a LS and you have a true sleeper

If your goal is to make your Camaro faster, are you willing to invest money equally because as you increase torque and HP, you must upgrade the drivetrain and suspension.

With the LS1, get a free-flowing exhaust, cold air intake and a tune. That's basic down-and-dirty bolt on stuff.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Sleeper to me means not knowing it has been touched. Remove the Z emblems, quieten down the exhaust , hit it with a NOS kit (I think the LS1 can handle a 150 shot without anything special as the computer compensates for the fuel), Do a little suspension work so that you put all the power you can to the ground.

Turbos and superchargers are great and a ton of fun but once you fire it up, everyone knows and the gig is up.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro blood runs through
Sleeper to me means not knowing it has been touched. Remove the Z emblems, quieten down the exhaust , hit it with a NOS kit (I think the LS1 can handle a 150 shot without anything special as the computer compensates for the fuel), Do a little suspension work so that you put all the power you can to the ground.

Turbos and superchargers are great and a ton of fun but once you fire it up, everyone knows and the gig is up.
Well put. I'm not going to put money into rims and paint and so on and so forth. So I guess sleeper isn't the right term. I was going for a tune and long headers first off. Then full cam kit. Stage 2 from a buddy for 400. Not bad in my opinion but that's Down the road. Spent all I had to get this car and the slight mods I've done already.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

It can get addictive and , in a hurry. LOL.. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Modify first, then tune. Cam change, you need a retune, Upgrade your injectors, you need a new tune. so on and so on.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Complete engine and tranny swap to a newer gm dohc v8. Replace z28 badging with 3800 badges.