Best engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Default Best engine swap?

Looking to do a engine swap I know i know ls swap it but can't really afford to do a ls swap I'm leaning towards a l67 the motor I have now is getting close to 200k miles and I'm wanting to try something different than doing a ls swap like everyone else question is how difficult would this be and list of parts I would need

Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

L67 swap topic has been covered many times on this forum. The intake is facing the wrong direction The MAF sensor ends up in the fire wall. you also don't have the height to install an inter-cooler under the superchargers. Step one to making a l67 fast is installing a inter-cooler. Trying to make a stock engine fast with hot air is a waste of time. I am not saying it can not be done, it has been done, but those cars kind of prove its not worth it. Just the cost of an air to water inter-cooler is close to the price of a High miles LS truck motor. High miles l67 will most likely need some attention including a supercharger rebuild.

So to do the L67 swap you have to make (not buy) a lot of parts and you will be out run by a base SII 3800 with a CAM, headers installed or any mini van build after 2007.

If you really want a budget build you may want to look at the 4.8 from a truck, they are the weakest of the LS design but most guy pass on them for the 5.3 and the 6.0 truck engine. You can squeeze 400hp out of them and they should hold together on a budget. Good luck hitting 400hp with any 3800 without serious money.

How is you electronics skills? Your 97 has a body control module, changing your PCM will effect every electrical system in the car. You will end up rewiring the entire car for almost any swap you do. In the case of 4th gens older is better for swaps.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-15-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 AM

A 4.8.was my second choice it's a 2000 but lots of people told me that to do an ls swap I would have to to get a new transmission a new rear suspension etc

Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes you would need to buy the engine and trans as a package and then buy torque arm re-locator. It would also be best if you found someone parting out a LS1 you could steal the harness and PCM from.

The rear is just a posi rear, the posi rear in a y87 V6 is the same as a Z28. I have seen Z28 rears in my local you pull it yards for $110 complete but you can do that upgrade later.

With the right CAM and headers you can put 325-350 to the tire with a tune in a 4.8. With the L67 you going to go from 200 to 240 at the crank, with an automatic you are talking 165 whp to 195 WHP. That assumes the L67 is in like new condition.

You could put a lot of money and time is the L67 swap and end up with a 3600 lb car with less then 200 wheel HP. These days buget rental cars will out run you.

I understand the need to be different. In the world of the internet different is tuff and expensive. Your best bet for you first build is to follow a common blue print. Once your done with that then go all in on a custom build. I have a buddy who put a turbo Voltswagon VR/6 speed (I think) in a S10. He is laying down 500 HP. It took him a year to build it and I know he spent 15K on it not including the truck. That was working on it 10-20 hours per week is a real shop with lift and all.

If you really want to go fast on a budget go look up Sloppy Mechanic. They have a website and a youtube channel. If there is a way to go fast for cheap the people in that community will know it.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-15-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

assuming this is a 3.8 car, why not just use a series 3 3.8. low mile used are cheap, not hard to change.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

OP has not even mentioned if there is anything wrong with his 2000. Just the basic L67 swap question. Funny, we used to get them once a week. Its been a few months since we had one.

If the car is running, don't mess with it, a running car is worth money, Cheapest way into a fast Camaro is to buy a Z28 with a blown motor and swap in a LS truck motor. Recently I have been seeing LS cars with blown motors selling for the same price as V6 cars with blown motors.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-16-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:47 AM
4th Gear Member

best swap is to stay with the engine you have an replace it ,or an lsx swap ,though again the cost your better off to save for an ls1 car, i have found them in winter for like $6000.00 with 75000 miles for an SS, an a lt1 car can be had for cheaper ,i am going that direction,swaps cost more then it would have cost to just get a z28 or ss car ,only thing i got is the 100 more hp Arox an alot of torq with my 406 ,an while it took only 40 hours for install,lots of mods ,with your car even more mods then a z28 car would need mods mods an more mods ,then when you get a 20 year old car you end up replacing the suspension

there is no good swap for the 3800 unless your loaded with money,i just seen a 2000 zs8 sell on Cl with 46k for $5000.00,you will need more then that for a good swap.swaps are for guys that do it every day ,there are tons of people start then then never finish after they relize the work needed,another big thing is pulleys too brackets you name it all needs to be modified,or updated

my swap i had to go on to traction bars shocks ,with a 3800 most swaps the car needs to be rewired start with a shell,with a zs8 car if you have to do it,there is less work but still alot ,before you know it ,you could have bought 2 z28 cars in my case i bought all new parts too,couse why put a used part on my new remaned crate engine

mines for sale for $8900.00 got over 12 k in it ,i loved it 2 engines 2 front ends an 11 years ,but now i want back to a stock car the car is a monster lots of power pretty fast to many pros an cons to list ,couse there is not much more to do,plus i need to find the guy that wants a carbed car,i have got some calls but it a a bad time right now with winter setting in,look at all the projects hear ,before you even think about it most never go past a few posts,look like it belongs but alot of work

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

You're selling the purple beast my dude? Why?

Also... where are you located, lol

Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 PM
4th Gear Member

just want to change cars ,in the spring i am going to to do a few other things if it dont sell first
I been loooking at the ls1 cars an wanted one.i also been looking at the very reliable 05 to 09 mustang GT,in 07 when i got my camaro,i looked at the brand new gt was silver they wanted like 18.500 cash was not bad looking back an seeing what some still want for the cars,but got the camaro

i have allways liked the engine ,most are built to last my buddie said why .well they have alot of bolt ons for the 4.6l ,my cousin has the 2010 roush 4.6 super charged like 670hp 500 wheels ,nice ride ,i hear they beat the ls1 in the stock race,but i dont race no more i live in southern newhamshire troy ,its like 10 miles from the mass border an 100 from newyork state happy thanksgiveing food man

Its one of those things i just desided its time,some guys change cars every few years some 5 10 so on ,i just had 5 cars in the drive way this past year was a pain ,now with my baby in the storage ,so i can store the new jeep. garaged for winter i have just 2 cars now,i shop till i drop for the best prices,an one thing does not scare me off is a car thats been in a fender bender then fixed ,with mine nothing rebuilt it was just the fender an hood,some of the best prices one will find is on one

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-23-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:41 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Take a hard look at the 2005-2006 GTO. Its a smaller car and with the LS2 400 hp. It will be easier on the pocket then Roush Mustang. Like all LS motor the stack numbers are just the starting point, you can add boost or stay NA and still hit 500 hp with just a cam head upgrade.

Quick Reply: Best engine swap?