94 z28 s'charged 383 stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Default 94 z28 s'charged 383 stroker build

hey guys this is my first post on this forum...i am new to camaros but not to chevys
little backround on the car:
94 z28 camaro with a 95 LT1 out of an 95 impalla ss, with the T-56 6 speed, i bought it in november for $1500 and got it halfway home and the motor started to tick....so i limped it home and it sat in the driveway while i got more info on the motor swap the previous owner did
i did a valve adjustment and drove it around town for a bit and it was fine
it is now put away for the winter in my barn where i will be building it starting hopefully this weekend

plans for this winter/spring:
383 boost-ready stroker bottom-end
ported, polished stock heads
lt4 hot cam kit w/ 1.6 rr
lt4 intake manifold
slp CAI
pacesetter ceramic coated LT headers
off road y-pipe w/ e-cutouts
3" cat-back-not sure which brand yet....any ideas???
hurst short shifter
custom dyno tune
tubular k-member, a-arms, stb
big swaybars front and rear
front big brake kit
black 17x9.5 front/18x10.5 rear Z06 wheels
all new speakers, head unit, 2 10" subs w/1200 watt amp
HIDs

i will run it like that for the summer adding things here and there as money permits

then next winter:
vortec supercharger kit-any one have experience with this???
stage II T-56 rebuild
moser 12 bolt rear
aluminum drive shaft

hopefully i will start the tear down this weekend....planning on pulling the motor out from the bottom of the car with the subframe without a lift so that should be interesting....if anyone has any suggestions on the best/easiest way to go about this i am all ears
also any comments or suggestions would be awesome since this the first time i am tearing a car apart to this extent
on to the pics.....

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

any particular reason your using a lt4 kit, much better cams out there. stock intake can be ported to flow better than lt4 intake. i would recomend using elliottsportworks for heads, intake and cam.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM
4th Gear Member

What Craby said for the intake/cam set up. You'll be leaving a decent amount of power on the table going with LT4 stuff. A cam custom ground for a boosted application will defiantly work better. I'd also ditch the iron heads and get a pair of stock aluminum heads and as mentioned, give LE a call.

I thought they discontinued the Vortech superchargers? Maybe I'm wrong. Another brand to look at would be ProCharger.

Cat back depends on what you think sounds good. Borla, Magnaflow, SLP, and Corsa are all good brands, though price varies between each.

How were you going to go about removing the engine without a lift? I'm assuming you have an engine hoist to hold up the body while you unbolt and roll the front subframe from under it?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 AM

craby- thanks for the info on elliottsportworks i will give them a call about a custom cam...i really dont have a reason why i wanted to go with the LT4 setup, i just never found a performance-based intake manifold that directly replaces the stock one so i figured the LT4 would do that

mk-i have a set of stock aluminum heads on it now so i was just going to have the ported and polished...also i thought i saw vortec supercharges online somewhere, i guess i will double check but that will be for next winter anyways so i have time. i dont know if you can see in the second picture but i have an I beam running the length of the barn that i hopefully can use to hoist the front end up.....but we'll see

Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i have le2 heads, le intake, lloyds largest emissions legal cam. lots of other stuff too

Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM

so i didnt get to work on the car as much as i wanted last weekend, only a couple hours. but i got the radiator/fans out and started taking apart the pulleys on the motor. tomorrow night and friday i will be working on it hopefully i can get everything separated from the motor so i can drop it out over the weekend.
MK- you are right vortech superchargers dont make kits for these cars so i looked into the procharger kits...they are expensive but i ahve a year to save up for the kit so we will see
pics....

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM

havent been able to work on the car as much as i wanted in the last couple weeks
i got the exhaust out, and pulled the driveshaft, removed the engine wiring harness and disconnected the front sway bar from the body.
i just have to disconnect the front brake lines from the booster and unbolt the subframe and tranny crossmember which will hopefully happen this weekend. then it should be ready to pull the motor
no pics to post

Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Itll be nice to see a bada$$ BLUE 4th Gen around here for a change. I look forward to watching your build.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Procharger Why dont you go turbo? The kits are a few thousand cheaper and probably easier to set up depending on your knowledge.
Llt1 boost - Cast Manifold Kit

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM

scooch-thanks man i cant wait until i can drive it this spring!

socom- i was looking at turbo kits for it and i really like the sound and power of a turbo, but all my friends with their civics and mazdas and stuff have turbos and i really wanted to go with something a little less import. plus there is no boost lag with a supercharger. i feel like i can make the same top end power but better low end without the lag of a turbo. i am not totally dead set on a supercharger though. if i have the bottom end to support either then i can make my decision when the time comes next winter.

....but then i guess if i do go with the turbo setup then the thead title will be misleading lol....oh well

Quick Reply: 94 z28 s'charged 383 stroker build