2002 z28 project

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:53 AM
4th Gear Member
Default 2002 z28 project

to start the pros are interior 9.5 out of 10 nothing to due there ,tires brakes all new rotters callipers pads,cons

1 tune up plugs wires air filter gas filter pcv valve

2 radiator flush or change dex cool transmisson flush filter. gear oil change rear end

3 rear shocks springs an insolators bump stops,got alot of this on the way in the mail ebay, so a good start

4 cat back slp loud mouth 1 kit ,for now

? does anyone have pictures of the cat back system i know that monster muffler in back comes out along with he ugly tips,i like the slp tips

down the road heads intake headers,car has one rust spot driver wheel well very small

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-03-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Nice ride, if me, I'd leave it alone and drive it.
Looks clean, nice color.
Apparently, with rust spot on drvr fender, fenders aren't fiberglass?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Apparently, with rust spot on drvr fender, fenders aren't fiberglass?
Must be the rear quarter drivers side, front fenders are ABS plastic I think and the inner fender wells are plastic. Rear quarters,firewall and and floorpan are about the only metal in the body on these cars.
I guess the door frames too but the skins are plastic if I remember right.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:40 PM
4th Gear Member

yes rear driver fender metal mental mistake. yes i did the front end on the 95,my first wreck on the 95 i knew about the rear fenders being metal an spot welded in doors fiberglass ,thanks everett i need to due the tlc though an the stock exhaust has to go ,i can see how they work now with out needing the headers yet ,an that is take out the big beast of muffler the big heavey tips,an it conects at the y pipe.looks like about a 3 hour job ,that will be mandatory after the tune an shocks springs,slp 1 $383.00 summit ebay ,then i will keep it stock till next year pretty much,time to get out the saws all cut it off ,then have my buddie weld the loud mouth in ,will due it together just simpler

seems loud mouth is the most popular cat back out there ,an there pretty loud ,though true duals are getting big ,i am sure it will sound great an not be near as loud as the true duals with headers on the 95 ,but be heard is all i wont not to loud,now its just quiet when compared to the 406,the 95 is too loud now

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-02-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Must be the rear quarter drivers side, front fenders are ABS plastic I think and the inner fender wells are plastic. Rear quarters,firewall and and floorpan are about the only metal in the body on these cars.
I guess the door frames too but the skins are plastic if I remember right.
Good point on rear qtr panel.
Yes, front inner fender wells are metal, fenders plastic, hood plastic, and on my 02 SS, entire doors are plastic.
The rest of the main structure is metal - for crushability and protection.

OP, I had an '00 SS with Flowmaster American Thunder catback and it was okay, but still loud when go pedal floored.
My '02 SS has OE SLP and mellow under mild throttle, but nice under throttle.
Maybe look for a SLP 345HP take-off?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 AM
4th Gear Member

i have thought about some used slp if i could find a kit for the right money ,not rusted out,yes i am excited to get into the ls1 car ss z28 i may 10 years down make another ss clone,but will not change to carbed engines,only ls engines for this car an parts

1 good start is tune up rad flush trans flush rear shocks springs isolators,then cat back pan hard bars

keeps it as near stock as possible i know after about 5 years will need to do some other mods,or sooner ,now i know i said keep it stock. cat back these days it still stock though allowing out the 20hp that feels like 40hp is nice did to my 95 when was lt1

though i do got to say 11 years with the 95 i like the tail lights new head lights,clears is the look i like ,though i may just keep the wheels on this are new 16 inch ,right now though 17in tires are cheap set of 275 40 17s are $350.00 for 4 ebay,though the 245 50 16 can be had for as cheap as $280.00 for 4,i like that BFG on there now look agressive ,

thinking about some stripes down the road hockey stripes an camaro door stripes,but for now that look is good will get some wax an black magic on the tires an be looking fine for this year ,may only keep the zr1 wheels if i get rapped on my 95 one thing at a time i get ahead of myself on these cold winter days for now its just siting on a trickle for now

this one had such clean head lights i wonder if they were replaced,now they sell just the head light emty shell for $75.00,wich to me is a rip when i got my leds ones for the 95 plug an play for 120.00 a set came with all the bulbs wires

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-03-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Good point on rear qtr panel.
Yes, front inner fender wells are metal
Maybe we are not talking about the same part, I could have the terminology wrong. My inner front fenders behind the tires are plastic on my '01 SS, under the hood the shock towers are of course are metal.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:08 PM
4th Gear Member

yes i thought i was makeing myself clear driver side rear was key, i should have said right on the lip ,will fix it,for now a touch up will be fine ,i allways put greace on the inner lip an lower well or wax an keep it there ,my 95 i also do the lip on the rockers even though there is no rust at all.

Jacked up the car today nothing but surface rust pretty much, the rockers are fine black wheel wells great,has a bit more,but some surface rust, but very much spread out tiny spots, as it spent the time in providence ,near the ocean,so thats what likely coused it,will hit any spots an all brake lines with ,stuff i been useing for years on all my cars,looks good, rust very minor ,i think it was garaged all of its life too ,but spent some time at the beach,nothing tlc wont fix,no holes ,nothing $200.00 will fix it the way i like it clean .

will go through the whole car between spring an fall for sure ,but solid car they all need something,this one tender love an care seems to fit it

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-03-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Honestly i think as far a bang for your buck i was looking at some mustangs from 2004 ma ch 1 too an 07 gt both 300hp cars,but these cars go above that at 315 to 325hp after the cat back an tune ,an when built up right i just think these right now still the best bang for your buck ,an these cars unless you get a cobra with the terminator engine was near 400hp

but most are way over priced, its no wonder guys are building the monster cars too ,if there is ever a big ressesion these cars will be the ,the ones people want ,i got older now an just like them all but camaro is just on top to me,4th gen junkie i guess so much one can do to them

An the ls1 engine so much can be done to them,the mods are endless different looks near the same ,glad to be in one for sure

they seem to be priceing us out of the v8 cars an most people that own a new 50k car are 2 weeks from loseing it to the bank,to v6 cars an 4 bangers with 275hp seems the day wil come 20 years from now who will afford a v8 car an most cars will be a 4 cycle on the road,most mustangs gt from these years 98-02 were under powered at 260hp,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-03-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:05 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Maybe we are not talking about the same part, I could have the terminology wrong. My inner front fenders behind the tires are plastic on my '01 SS, under the hood the shock towers are of course are metal.
yes, the liners are plastic sheeting.

Quick Reply: 2002 z28 project