Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

what are you using to hold the camaro??? just curious

Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by draagonfly
The focus at the moment tho is getting her running so we don't need a tow to a body shop for further help.
The way I read their whole story, they're trying to tweak the front back out slightly, just enough to get the battery and reservoir back in so the car can get driven to the body shop to get fixed for real. I don't believe they're trying to rebuild the front end themselves. Btw, use a tree, not a Jeep.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 AM

I get what everyone is saying about things being too bent, and it's totalled and all that... certainly if there had been collision insurance on it, State Farm would've hauled it off and sent an inadequate check. And I appreciate that you guys are into your project cars and making things perfect, but I'm not going for perfect here. (And I considered the chop and weld, but if I had those kind of resources I'd just buy another car.) I've been looking for a job for 2 years without much success, and my daughter cant work either without a vehicle. We live too far out of the way for public transport. I've seen worse being driven around and I'm not looking to put it in a car show or drive it forever. I just want it to run enough to get to a body shop, where I will ask about the risks of driving it for a few months and make my next decision from there.

We only paid $1600 for this one, then dropped another $1000 into it to fix the oil leaks and put in a new clutch (I'll bet there isn't even 500 miles on that stupid clutch). I don't have $2K laying around to spend on Craigslist - we already did that. And the only piece of metal that's bent is directly in FRONT of the battery - nothing bothered the wheel well or anything close to the wheel. While I understand that anything out of place is a compromise to the overall stability, I fail to see how a piece of metal that the lights attach to is going to affect the suspension and alignment in the short term. I'm probably being naive, but I have to try. I don't have another option.

I wrote to several "mobile professionals" about this and sent pics. Only one called me back. He specializes in dent repair so I figure if anyone knows how to move metal... Pffftt. He said sure... he could come out for $150 and mentioned he planned to hook it up to the bumper of his truck and see if he could pull it out that way. Well geez, I already thought of that, so why would I pay him to do it? Hence I tried. And failed. As expected since the chain wasn't that great. So whatever. At least I tried.

We borrowed a slide hammer from Auto Zone but honestly anything that relies on my own strength to pull it ain't gonna work so I think the guy was insane suggesting that. I haven't even taken it out of the case and will probably return it that way.

Thank you for your suggestions, but nevermind. I will figure this out on my own.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The way I read their whole story, they're trying to tweak the front back out slightly, just enough to get the battery and reservoir back in so the car can get driven to the body shop to get fixed for real. I don't believe they're trying to rebuild the front end themselves. Btw, use a tree, not a Jeep.

Hard to use a tree when there's no battery to make the car run cuz I can't get it in there! LOL

Old 11-30-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
if this car really is what it says its a steal

1994 Chevy Camaro

there all over cl
You obviously don't shop Craigslist very often. That's a total scam right there. Trust me on this one.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
It is hard to tell from the picture but I think Basic is right. These cars are unibody constuction and where that one is hit it most likey tweaked the whole front end. To pull a structual part of the car (like you are trying to do) requires the car to be supported in areas (on a frame machine the body would be bolted down.) Lets say it take 1200 lbs of force to pull a kink out a pc of 16 gage steel. That same 1200 lbs could do more damage to other sections of the unibody if they are not supported. These cars are designed to be strong but only to certain types of loads or pressures you start fooling with that with out the training or the equipment you would have to be very lucky to not do more damage then you fix. The 1200 lbs of force is a guess it could be a little less or it could be much higher. The last thing you want to do is put that much pressure on a car sitting on its wheels in park. The car itself will most likely slde before you pull anything straight.

Warning: Frame machine uses very expensive clamps but from time to time they pop off and when they do it sounds like a shot gun going off and there are deep gouges in the steel support beams. Your home made clamps look like a ER trip waiting to happen.

The old school way you are trying to fix this car was the way a lot of cars where fixed back in the day. But those where full framed cars and we were just playing with stuff that did not really matter. You are reforming the structure of the car with your jeep. I would not want one of my kids driving a car that was repaired in that way.
This makes the most sense. I can't say I have a lot of hope even if we can get it to a body shop, but again, I have to at least try. Parting it out will take so darn long.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar
I know some things about physics too, and I know it isn't exactly smart to be doing what you guys are doing.
Never said it was smart... once in awhile crazy works. In this case it didn't. Oh well. I'm gonna start calling it Schrodingers Camaro... it's both alive and dead in the garage.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow i cant believe the jeep could not pull it out enough. if all you want is for it to go down the road then why not strap a battery in there. looks like maybe one would fit if its a small one.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
??? you obviously dont know much about frame straightening... that ratchet strap (with maybe a 200 lb limit) and a jeep is NOT going to fix that car... actual frame straightening equipment uses thousands of lbs of force to do what it does the op is just looking for a reason to go to the hospital here
Was this post referring to my post? If it was a car worth something I would have said take it to a body shop. But it's a $2000 car at best!??!? For a "backyard" repair and for girls to be doing it!

We, the forum, don't know and would not be able to tell if the strut towers moved in the accident. I think a body shop would charge some money to check it on a chassis machine. A wheel alignment would be very inexpensive and will show caster and camber settings and if off will show how much and if a wheel alignment could compensate if the strut tower was moved.

I have personally attempted to do wheel alignments on cars that have been involved in an accident and could not get caster, camber or toe in spec. Therefore requiring a frame machine... If the customer was willing to pay and BTW they never did, I got the wheels as close to spec as I could

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Lengths of wood, pipe and blocks of wood with an assortment of hammers. Maybe try a come-along using the jeep as an anchor.

I don't think you will be able to pull it out in one shot but between hammering it out I think you'll be able to get it out far enough to get the battery in -good luck!

Quick Reply: 2 Girls Fixing a Wrecked 95 Camaro