1996 Camaro SS Number 78

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Default Camaro

Sold it.

Last edited by Shadowbethesda; 02-23-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:15 PM
4th Gear Member

10 years siting with engine damage ,sounded like 2 years in the other thread,how much time outside ??? siting does not allways do them good ,if there inside an driven yearly thats different ,from the looks of the hood ,i would say take it to a good mechanic that knows that car like the other thread ,,you may want to go used ,unless you got a ton of money to spend ,it could be like opening up a can of worms one thing after another ,,engine could be seized up,should hope not ,hope you are geting a deal on the price ss or not,but it could be like said fine an just need the gaskets,all the fluids would need changed ,if you can get it to crank over ,its one thing at a time,check the frame under the car for rust if its been outside wich looks like it has been all that time may not be good even with a cover

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-14-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
10 years siting with engine damage ,sounded like 2 years in the other thread,how much time outside ??? siting does not allways do them good ,if there inside an driven yearly thats different ,from the looks of the hood ,i would say take it to a good mechanic that knows that car like the other thread ,,you may want to go used ,unless you got a ton of money to spend ,it could be like opening up a can of worms one thing after another ,,engine could be seized up,should hope not ,hope you are geting a deal on the price ss or not,but it could be like said fine an just need the gaskets,all the fluids would need changed ,if you can get it to crank over ,its one thing at a time,check the frame under the car for rust if its been outside wich looks like it has been all that time may not be good even with a cover
I started the other thread to ask a general question regarding what direction to take if the motor ends up being bad.

I plan to change all of the fluids, lube the cylinders and boroscope it. If it looks undamaged then we will go ahead and fire it and listen for any bad noises. If that checks out, we will pull the heads and replace the gaskets and have the heads machined.

Brakes, suspension, etc etc will be done as I slowly restore it. I have 6 motorcycles and three other cars competing for my attention unfortunately.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear member

The car appears to be Teal in color. If that's the case, it is lowest production color of SS' in 1996, 1 of 77 built. Personally, I would try to restore the car as close to original as possible.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
96Prod#s.pdf (30.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
The car appears to be Teal in color. If that's the case, it is lowest production color of SS' in 1996, 1 of 77 built. Personally, I would try to restore the car as close to original as possible.
Thank you for that PDF!

Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 AM
4th Gear Member

sounds like a plan one thing at a time if this car is done should be done right though with that many projects better take one at a time is what i do ,they are rare but there is also a point with these cars too ,an it want be worth much more in our life time but never the less rare ,i have seen 1 of the 78 ,i have seen resently about 10 of them for sale so most people took very good care of these cars from ebay to criags list

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-15-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:16 PM
4th Gear Member

If I remember right, you could get the SS in all the same colors as the Z, with the exception of purple. Believe that was the only color not available for some reason.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 02-17-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
If I remember right, you could get the SS in all the same colors as the Z, with the exception of purple. Believe that was the only color not available for some reason.
According to the Camaro White Book, the SS was only available in five colors White, Polo Green, Bright Teal Met, Black and Red. The remaining colors from 1996, Dark Purple Met, Sebring Silver Met, Mystic Teal Met, Quasar Blue Met and Cayenne Red Met were not available. I never paid much attention before, but I was surprised that Sebring Silver couldn't be ordered in 1996.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM
4th Gear Member

my color cyclamen ,better known as dark purple or plum was only 94 95 96 ,as much as people seem to love the color ,i think most do like commen colors like silver pewter tan black red ,i like haveing a rare color in some ways,an couse of the disapearing 93 to 97 cars ,but same time different for different years ,mine came back in 2015 but i have not seen one on the street only the net ,i almost bought one with a ground effects kit in teal color 96 z28 had to many cons though,?? whats the miles on this ss???like i said i seen one 96 ss black 44k miles for $4600.00 , that had one wreck when it was one year old in Buffalo NY that was fixed perfectly,all others are over priced right now ,i would like to get my hands on it though if it still there ,theres a great flip car or a keeper

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-18-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:44 PM

So I ended up buying a LT1 Corvette motor today (we shall see when I pull the oil pan to confirm 4 bolt mains). Allegedly only had 5,000 miles before being pulled from car (judging by the the cylinder walls and bottom of the heads it may be possible). It was complete minus the cam, springs, intake and opti.

Pics to follow.

Quick Reply: 1996 Camaro SS Number 78