1993 Camaro Buildup (The Black Dahlia)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Exclamation 1993 Camaro Buildup (The Grim Reaper)

Good morning all... this is going to be the thread where I ressurect my 1993 Camaro... I will try my best to keep all questions in this thread so i don't post-*****... I will also upload pictures ASAP... first things first, she's a 1993 Camaro Z28... LT1 350 w/ 4L60 tranny... 122,000 miles... stock except for Shift Kit, Flowmaster Cat back, and SLP hood... So far, only issues I have are that the ABS and Brake lights are on... what's the right direction to start in to get that resolved? Also, the SES light isn't on, but sometimes at a stoplight, the car idles high and almost wants to stall, and when you go from part throttle to WOT, the car hesitates, stumbles, and backfires and then goes, but if i stop the gas a couple times and then go to WOT, it goes pretty good... I'm thinking possible TPS? What do you guys think? I want to get her running good, then take her to the track for some baseline runs, then focus on the interior, motor, and then suspension.

Last edited by 1993_Z28; 04-10-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 PM

A few pictures of the car when I purchased it... the starting point...

Attached Thumbnails 1993 Camaro Buildup (The Black Dahlia)-camaro.jpg   1993 Camaro Buildup (The Black Dahlia)-camaro2.jpg   1993 Camaro Buildup (The Black Dahlia)-camaro3.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and can't wait to see what your plans are.

Check all your vacuum hoses. Might explain why it's idling high.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 02-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Welcome to the forums and can't wait to see what your plans are.

Check all your vacuum hoses. Might explain why it's idling high.
I found a broken vacumn hose... I plan on going ahead and replacing them all just to be sure... the car was leaking oil from around the oil filter... so i washed and degreased the engine and underneath of the car(very careful of the Opti) and changed the oil and filter with Mobil 1 5W30 and a quart of Lucas cuz i figured the previous owner didn't tighten the filter all the way... I started the car up, pressure up, no leaks. I let the car run for about 2 mins, let the new oil circulate and turned the car off... there are a couple drips on the floor and a streak down the oil filter... is it possible that the oil pan gasket is leaking or could it be the rear main seal? I plan on doing a thorough degrease and isolating the leak... but looking for ideas where to start... if its the pan gasket or rear main, I can do it when I do the tranny fluid/filter since I will be in that area anyway... if i have to drop the pan, I will go ahead and throw a new oil pump in it... cheap insurance..

Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Chances are the rear main is leaking too, seems to be a very common spot on our cars, but if that were the case, the oil would be coming down the flywheel cover...but the way you describe it sounds like more like the pan.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Chances are the rear main is leaking too, seems to be a very common spot on our cars, but if that were the case, the oil would be coming down the flywheel cover...but the way you describe it sounds like more like the pan.
thanks for the reply... I was considering replacing the oil pan seal and rear main seal, since I have the pan off anyway... since I would have the transmission out, I was considering adding a converter since it was out... it would complement the shift kit, fresh fluid change, and deep sump tranny pan nicely...

Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

leaking at the front and rear seal of the intake manifold gasket is common. check to see if you can tell if its coming from above the filter. mine leaked down both sides it was so bad. thought it was a rear main but once i got the inspection plate for the trans off i could see it wasnt. the oil pressure switch is another place that oil can come from and show in that area. its right above the filter. see the rtv on the end of the intake, thats the spot. you can see i got almost to much rvt in there, to little and it fails soon, to much and it can slump off and fail. you can also see where it was draining down towards the filter before i resealed. lol, hard to see when its in the car.
Name:  P2200033.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  77.4 KB

Last edited by craby; 02-17-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 AM

Thanks for the reply Craby... I will check into that as well... I am going to thoughly degrease the underside, drive the car home, and take the inspection cover off and see if I can see if its coming from the rear main or the oil pan

Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 AM

I was doing some diagnostics today... I was checking the TPS voltage and I noticed that below the TPS, the green connector was half way out. I tried to plug it back in but it wouldnt go in, so I took it out and this is what I came across... Its under the TPS to the right as you can see in the picture... The plug looks like the plastic got brittle and broke... At first I thought it was the IAC, but it dosnt have 2 torx screws holding it... What is this sensor and can I purchase a new plug to replace the broken one and how hard would it be to replace it? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 1993 Camaro Buildup (The Black Dahlia)-broke2.jpg  

Last edited by 1993_Z28; 02-18-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

that is the iac valve. you can get new plug for it. ill see if i can find one real quick

Quick Reply: 1993 Camaro Buildup (The Black Dahlia)