Reattaching headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Default Reattaching headliner?

95 Z with sagging headliner from the windshield all the way back.Do I have to remove the whole headliner with insulation material or can I spray the headliner adhesive on the insulation and push up and hold the headliner.I have never missed with reattaching a headliner so sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.Like I said I have never missed with headliners so I don't want to do any unnecessary removing of materials and risk messing something up but I want to do it right.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you dont mind how it will look, spray with adhesive. IMO, the only other alternative would be to take the whole thing out and have it recovered.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

mine was made of card board. when mosture gets in it the glue does not want to hold. i tried regluing mine a couple times and finally got a new one from stockinterior, plastic backing, works and looks great.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
4th Gear Member

When the headliner starts to sag it is History. Only solution is to replace it, anything else is just a Half A--ed fix.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear member

I had a horrible sagging headliner in my old 94. All the way around. Honestly, it is not difficult at all to change the headliner. I went to the junkyard, found one in great condition, $10, and replaced it in about a half hour.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you got lucky, all in the yard are ruined around here

Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
you got lucky, all in the yard are ruined around here
We have some pretty good yards around here. A LOT of camaro parts are in great condition and usually under 140k miles. people are just stupid around here. they dead it up a little and scrap it. only a few even had a bad engine or trans. Honestly, Ii can pick up almost any part I want for my camaro around here and it mine as well be new for 1/8th the price.
Who knows how much the RS lip kit goes for, even just the spoiler kit? Found the 3 piece spoiler kit and got it for $25. The rear bumper was on the ground and the other pieces were taken already unfortunately.

But either way, chances are, you might be lucky. And if you decide to get it brand new, its not hard of a change either. If you want help, since Ive done it already, just ask.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

I got one "real" pull-a-part- here and I check the website daily and am on their mailing list....when a 4th gen comes in, I get an email....bad thing is, if I can't get there within 2-3 days, the thing is stripped, people come in and scavenge the high dollar parts to resell. This place waits till it gets to basically the frame and they haul it to the crusher and sell it for scrap after that. If you guys need a particular part, let me know, this place is dirt cheap, I may be able to help you out. Got one other place here to that is one of those "take your life into your own hands" kinda places, I go there sometimes, but they are overpriced. Dont get that though....the places that bring wrecks in and dump them on the ground charge more that the place that brings in decent cars and has them on stands specifically to be stripped.

Last edited by jkeaton; 02-15-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I got one "real" pull-a-part- here and I check the website daily and am on their mailing list....when a 4th gen comes in, I get an email....bad thing is, if I can't get there within 2-3 days, the thing is stripped, people come in and scavenge the high dollar parts to resell. This place waits till it gets to basically the frame and they haul it to the crusher and sell it for scrap after that. If you guys need a particular part, let me know, this place is dirt cheap, I may be able to help you out. Got one other place here to that is one of those "take your life into your own hands" kinda places, I go there sometimes, but they are overpriced. Dont get that though....the places that bring wrecks in and dump them on the ground charge more that the place that brings in decent cars and has them on stands specifically to be stripped.
If you see the rest of the RS lip kit, can you let me know? I know its rare, but hey, I found it. I have the spoiler package, and wouldve had the rear bumper but it was on the ground so I couldn't. So I just need all the bottom trim pieces now.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 PM

I have not tried the yards but I will try it.I looked on eBay for a new one but I think it was about 200$ or more.I have some upholstery shops near by.It looks like the main form is in good shape but the soft foam part was just crumbling.I lightly removed the worst of the loose foam,not enough to cause lumps,just the loose stuff.I used the good heavy duty 3m adhesive,if it will last a few years,I'll be happy.You guys will probably think I am crazy but it is a project for son's first car.He already knows that before he can drive it much he has to drive our gallant to see how he is going to drive.

Quick Reply: Reattaching headliner?