Need help with my 1993 Bose System, possibly replace with aftermarket stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Need help with my 1993 Bose System, possibly replace with aftermarket stuff?

So I have almost no car audio knowledge but some basic electronics knowledge(and I mean basic). Heres what I know, this 1993 Z28 has the head unit you see in the picture, two door speakers that frankly suck, nothing in the back seat panel speakers, and the Bose sub box in the back with a big burn mark on the circuit board connected to the sub.

I took pics of the wiring in the panels and I have looked at wiring diagrams and it seems that some of the colors match up but some dont. That or Im just an idiot who doesnt know how to read. Heres what I found when I googled 1993 camaro radio wiring chart.

"Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Orange
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Brown
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Pink
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″ Speakers
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6 1/2″ Speakers
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Side Panels
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue"

Now some of these colors match up and I have pics below. Some of these I see and some I dont. The yellow and brown it shows on the left rear are there but theres 2 yellow wires in that bundle back there. Can anyone help me understand which wire is which? Heres a few pics of what Ive found pulling out the panels. Please forgive me atrocious finger nails. I promptly clipped them after taking these pics. lol

This is the head unit.

Name:  w6TFcvC.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  504.9 KB

Here is the front driver side door speaker. Looks pretty old and I hear it kind of cut in and out a little bit. Theres one on the passenger side as well that works ok.

Name:  KTD0gea.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  444.2 KB

I popped out the speaker shield thing and.. no speakers on both sides! So only the front 2 speakers "work"(and i say that loosely because they dont work very good) and theres nothing in the back 2 speaker slots.

Name:  1wazjJu.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  443.4 KB

Ok so driver side rear seat panel, this is the color of the wires.

Name:  5TyE683.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  393.3 KB

Heres another, looks like someone stripped a section of the brown and two yellow wires.

Name:  eJUnuGt.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  666.2 KB

Here we find another wire running through the driver side rear panel. This wire has electrical tape wrapped around it.

Name:  FQsPPIH.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  674.2 KB

Here is what was in the taped wire.

Name:  QDwJxDg.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  535.1 KB

This is what I found in the trunk on the driver side plugging in to the sub box and one shielded set of wires.

Name:  egrgOnO.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  541.3 KB

H

Heres the circuit board(amp?) to the subwoofer. Nice burn spot. Do you think this is basically toast?

Name:  XgSdEtb.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  831.4 KB

Heres the colors of the wires going into the adapter for the sub box.

Name:  0rP1NDX.jpg
Size:  474.3 KB

And another look just for good measure.

Name:  oKZws12.jpg
Size:  476.6 KB

This is what was in the trunk on the driver side.

Name:  IXxIPeJ.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  410.9 KB

And another look at the colors of the wires.

Name:  OMxmzIY.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  457.2 KB

Ok now that we've followed the wires on the driver side back to the trunk.. here is what I see on the passenger side rear door panel. Looks like its JUST the antenna wire.

Name:  SNKdiXv.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  600.4 KB

Following the antenna wire back to the trunk, I found that someone must have put a new antenna on it and never connected it. Two male ends and no way to connect them up properly without an adapter.

Name:  6WTu4lz.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  276.4 KB

I checked out amazon and found a female to female adapter for GM vehicles that looks like it should work and was only 6 bucks so I put in an order for one. Hopefully it works.
-----------------

Anyways, Ive done some googling and it seems like the only way to be able to replace the head unit is with an adapter but Im not really sure what to look for. If I want to replace the front speakers and add in rear speakers.. do I have to redo the wiring or can I use the wiring already in there? Why am I not seeing like.. the blue wires it says in the wiring diagram? Is it just easier for me to replace the wiring entirely if I get a new head unit? I really dont mind taking the interior apart to do the wiring if necessary.

I havent purchased anything yet but I can see alot of confusion from people who have tried to do this and I just need some help because I have never done anything like this before and it feels like its a little bit over my head.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok I just unbolted the head unit and took a look at the wires in the back.

more 93 camaro radio pics - Album on Imgur
^^
Heres a link to the pics in an album on imgur.

Now I know for sure some of these wires dont match up. That wiring diagram says theres a dark blue and a light blue and I only see one blue at all.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you seen this yet http://shbox.com/1/bose_wiring.jpg yep the three speaker system is weird.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i rewired all the speakers on mine.