Interior is in bad shape

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 12:04 PM
Default Interior is in bad shape

I am buying my brother's '94 Z28 convertible. It is in less than great shape. He has kept it in his barn/garage for several years with the interior half taken apart and then tossed back into the cabin area. I know my brother. He is a nice guy. However, he is terrible at keeping things nice. Where should I start for locating interior parts and supplies? I would like to save as much as possible but right now I know the carpet is shot. The center console looks like they left the top down in the rain followed by days of hot, glaring sunshine. The rest just looks like something that may need a tetanus shot in order to dig deeper. I haven't even gotten to the engine, trans, suspension....... Oy, lots of work ahead. Hopefully less than I think there is going to be.

Old 09-25-2024, 09:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would do the interior last. It is by far the hardest thing to keep clean while the car is being worked on. You will be in and out of it while dirty. Dirt from working get in the air and settles in the car. You can scrub everything down. I suggest watch some youtube detailing videos. The cars they can bring back to like new is amazing. Take inventory. Bag it for later install. If you are looking for a whole interior upgrade I would watch out for part out cars on Facebook market or craigs list. Next would be "you pull it lots" for low costs, Normal junk yards or Ebay for anything you are having trouble finding. Sun and heat is hard on interior parts so the farther North you go the better the older parts will be.

I hate to bring it up but sometimes project get dropped or put on hold because of unknown issues. You don't want want to put a bunch of time and money on a comedic project till you have a full idea of the total project.

With the right "Paint" and prep parts and even seats can be refinished. I know this makes most of us older guys cringe but the new interior paint are really dies and the primers are acids that burn into plastic.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-25-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

better look at engine and trans first. real easy to get into these over what the value is trying to save them. look at what a nice 94 vert is going for and think in those terms. I have a lot and I mean a lot more money into mine then I will ever get out of it. thankfully I got in early enough where a lot of the parts was lower priced. dam dash cover is 500 bucks or more now. some parts now are only found used in wrecking yards or specialty sites. I had a buddy in a Chevy parts dept and we went through all the parts I thought I might need and found any we could get for 93 Camaro and ordered them. mostly fasteners and small parts. lol, got a small parts dept around here for early 4th gens... here is one place I have used for interior stuff without issue. https://www.stockinteriors.com/items...utocarpet/1993

Old 09-25-2024, 09:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

take gas cap off and sniff to see if gas smells of paint thinner. cleaning tank and fuel system might be in order.