infamous power windows issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Default infamous power windows issues

Hi everyone. I recently bought a '96 Camaro and am having problems with both power windows. I read about the resoldering RAP module fix on the bcm and tried that still no luck. The previous owner had multiple bcms in the car so I changed them out and one of them the passenger side does go up and down but that bcm is not programmed for my key. I'm assuming the motor is out on drivers side since no sound when i press switch even with the working bcm connected. Not wanting to pay to have the dealership reprogram the bcm that has the windows works, is there a way anyone knows to bypass the bcm and have my windows able to be working? I am good with following directions but not so good at reading wiring diagrams to figure it out myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nope can not do without the bcm/ to test motors you can run a hot wire to the switch.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Thanks. I will have to do that to test the driver side with the spare bcm in. Since there is no way to directly wire to bypassing the bcm, would I be able to use the part from the circuit board where I fixed the solder joints from the bcm with the windows working out with the one that starts my car to fix my issue? Really not having to try to have to pay the dealership to reprogram a bcm to my key.

I was able to bypass the bcm with my aftermarket radio and was really hoping to do the same for the windows, but from what I understand the current alternates for the window to go up or down.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear member

With the BCM connector C2 (black 6-wire) still plugged in, connect pin D (brown wire) to pin C (dark blue wire). You then cut the dark blue wire to the connector. Leave some wire at the connector in order to splice it back later. You may have already done this for the radio. That bypasses the RAP power relay. The ignition will then have to be on to work the windows anytime. The BCM has no control of the window direction; that is done by the switches. The BCM only controls the power supplied, letting you use them for 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 04-27-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is the express down module in the bcm?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
With the BCM connector C2 (black 6-wire) still plugged in, connect pin D (brown wire) to pin C (dark blue wire). You then cut the dark blue wire to the connector. Leave some wire at the connector in order to splice it back later. You may have already done this for the radio. That bypasses the RAP power relay. The ignition will then have to be on to work the windows anytime. The BCM has no control of the window direction; that is done by the switches. The BCM only controls the power supplied, letting you use them for 10 minutes after the ignition is switched off.
Thanks this fixed my problem. Now on to testing the motor on the driver side.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by craby
Yes it is craby. Bypassing it fixed my problem. I just couldnt desolder and resolder the part for the intermittent radio/locks/window fix to switch it with the one one thw spare bcm.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
NO, the Express Down module (aka Power Window Control Module) is separate from the BCM, but it does control the driver side window (only).

Old 04-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
NO, the Express Down module (aka Power Window Control Module) is separate from the BCM, but it does control the driver side window (only).
I didn't realize that. That must be the black box I read about that is supposed to be behind the radio. Am I right?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Probably. The DRL module (if installed) is back there also and is black.

Quick Reply: infamous power windows issues