had a spill

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default had a spill

I was riding back from McDonalds and my drink was in the middle cup holder. I had to hit the brakes kind of hard and the coke spilled all over my gear shifter. ( I have a auto transmission) now when i switch gear its kind of sticky but its not too bad, but is there any way to clean it? ( the plastic scales that move when you shift back and forth)

Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: had a spill

Simple green will work, but that will only get so much out. Glass cleaner works too but the sugar is really hard to break down. Some body shop prep diluted is the best bet, but if it is too concentrated, it will eat the plastic.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, thanks again.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Simple Green is one of the best cleaners I have used.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:44 AM

If anyone out there is still wondering about this, I took my entire gear shifter apart today - removed staple from shift **** and took it off, took of cover with gear indicator, etc. and took all of the plastic pieces out. I let it all soak in a bucket of soapy water for a few minutes then wiped it all down - now's it's super smooth and good as new! I didn't use anything special at all, and getting the staple out was the hardest part of taking the gear shifter apart.

Mine was pretty disgusting down there - sticky soda/pop from years of spills

Good Luck!