Dashboard of 1997 camaro, and Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 AM
Default Dashboard of 1997 camaro, and Steering Wheel

so i have a 1997 Camaro.. its my first car and it was wrecked when i was around the age of 12 when my parents were driving.. (i'm 17 now.) the Front bumper suffered quite a bit of damage but i have recently fixed it.. ( it has been sitting in my parents shop downtown for about 5 years, and they decided i could buy it for the cost of repainting it and repairing it.) so, the air bags went off in the collision, and it destroyed part of the dash, so i have to replace air bags and the main dash is in tact but the dash where the defrost vent is is cracked and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could look to find a new one i can buy.. please hit me up with any replys
Oh, and i was wondering if i could get some input on if i should keep a stock steering wheel seeing that i need to buy a new one since the airbag went off.. or should i try a different type of steering wheel?

Thanks Twill21

Old 03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Check with your local auto salvage yards, you should be able to find what you need, also, your local classifieds for camaro's with bad motor or transmissions that people are looking to get rid of.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:55 PM

i've checked my local salvage yards.. i'm lucky to ever find a 1997 camaro.. or any of the similar years of it.. its an hour drive everytime also.. also the color of the dash in all the cars i keep seeing the the junk yards are like a tanish color.. i need black.. if there is a website i could order the dash vent from that would be awesome.

Thanks Twill21

Old 03-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Also if need be i can take pictures of the cars dash so you know what exactly i'm talking about

Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
4th Gear Member

If you have a place that sells paint and body materials, you can buy a spray can of interior die for around $10 or so dollars that you can change the color to what you want. I have used this before and died a blue dash from a donor truck to burgandy dash and it worked great. Can't remember the name of the stuff but it is interior die that comes in a spray can like a spray paint. Post up a pic of what you are looking for. I know where 2 are sitting and one of them has a black dash but the pad is missing. Might just have what you are looking for but from your post, it sounds like this is the piece you are needing. The vent you are talking about is made into it, I believe. Also try ebay but be careful who you buy from.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 AM

alright duck.. i'll try to post one in the next couple days..
Thanks Twill21

Old 03-24-2010, 09:12 AM

actually could i make a video and post it on youtube and put the url in here or is that against the rules?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you don't have to replace the entire steering wheel. the air bag unit is completely separate. there are four star-drive bolts on the backside of the steering wheel. take those out, and the center air bag piece will come right off. All you have to do to replace it is plug in a new air bag. I have one that I could sell you, just PM me.

As for the dash pad, good luck finding one, as those are usually in high demand and hard to find. check out http://car-part.com/. It has inventories of a whole bunch of different parts from junkyards all over the country. If you look at the pages of search results, the one with the asterisk will give you the lowest price or the closest location.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Good Luck on the dash pad for the 97. The fun part is finding one , the even better part is IF you have the graphite color it was only used from 97 - 99. The ones I have seen on ebay are really not that much cheaper than the stealership . I mean price wise yeah they are but then that stupid crazy shipping comes in . I have seen some listed as $60 shipping , that hunk of plastic while a odd size isnt $60 to ship. Hawk's had a dashpad from a 97 RS listed on their site. May wanna check that out if your down that way.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 PM

alright thanks for the info. guys.. i'll still take more if anyone else has some more info for me
Thanks Twill21

Quick Reply: Dashboard of 1997 camaro, and Steering Wheel