Budget interior modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 01:46 AM
Default Budget interior modifications

I just finished what I think to be two great budget interior mods and thought I would share the idea. Of course this post will be no good without pics, so I will get some good high res pics up tomorrow.

FIRST, I bought my 95Z with a totally cracked up dash pad. After looking around and deciding that fixing the oil leak and replacing the water pump and opti was more important than a new dash... I decided to fix it myself.

I took the dash out in three peices and laid them across my work bench upside down. I used some heavy duty tape (grey duct tape)to hold it together while I mixed some fiberglass reinforced bondo. I used a moderately thick coat of this on the underside of the dash pad making sure that everything was lined up properly. After it dried in about two hours, I flipped it over and laid a very thin coat of regular bondo over the entire top. This eliminated any crack marks.

I had all of these supplies in my garage, but if you had to buy them it wouldnt cost more than $15. I then went to my local fabric store and bought 2 yards of black heacy duty felt and a can of spray adhesive. I sprayed the entire top of the dash pad and attached the felt at the front (windhsield side). This allowed me to pull it very tight over the rest of the pad and get the contours perfect. I then wrapped all of the edges and cut off the access on the back.

While I was putting it back in I realized the the grey/black cloth that was used on the doors arm rest area was kinda weathered. So I took the left over fabric that I had, a razor knife, a screw driver and a credit card to "fix it" I used the screw driver to gently pull up the rubber lip on the top while I used the credit card to evenly push the fabric under it. There is plenty of room and pressure there that I didnt even have to use the adhesive. I then stretched the fabric over the rest of the cloth pad and tucked it under by using the screw driver to gently pull the pad up while using the credit card to evenly tuck the fabric under. I then trimmed the edges and pushed the remainder under.
The edges came out absolutely perfect and each side took me less than 15 minutes. NOW, the cloth matches the rest of the top portion of the door and the dash pad.

As I said, if anyone is interested, I will post pics tomorrow...

Old 10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Budget interior modifications

i plan on redoing the entire interior of my 88z... you should post some pics... i have some cracks on my dash area too.... might help me out in what i need to do

Old 10-29-2005, 02:31 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

make me an Do It Yourself article with some pics, and ill make sure it stays posted up/ sounds nice!

Old 10-29-2005, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Wow, that sounds like a good idea if you have a cracked dash

Old 10-30-2005, 02:29 AM

I will take some more pics tomorrow. Todays project was making new sun visors. I got sick of the stretched out grey crappy ones. SO I took the OEM ones apart, cut new cardboard, and applied the same black cloth I used for the dash and door panel.
Here are some pics... I still need to clean the edges up a little, but considering I did this entire project in 30 minutes I should let the glue dry a little before I cut any closer!

Old 10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Woe that definitely looks 100's of times better man, good luck [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

pics dont show up......

someone fiiiixxxxx... i wannnnnaaaaa seeee

Old 10-31-2005, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear member

They do show bud

Old 10-31-2005, 07:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

not for me [:@]

Old 11-01-2005, 12:38 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, it looks like a mouse pad with a jutted out side on it, and it is covered in black material.

Quick Reply: Budget interior modifications