Z28 engine rebuild turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM

anyone want to give some real help not from "torque is good". SC seems easier and cheaper so thats what what im going with

Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Okay first get about ten grand, second Tear apart your motor and replace everything with upgraded parts, third Get SC, 4 install SC. It is a dedication type project and you would honestly be better off with a mild build

Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I thought the post I made was helpful.

How many horses do you want? How much boost are you going to plan for? What do you want this car to do?

You can put 7-10lbs of boost on a LT1 without having to do much to the lower end. You will still need to lower the compression to around 8:1 and I would not go above 8.5:1 with that much boost. Using stronger rods would not hurt here but the stock rods should be OK so long as you dont stomp on it all the time. Now for the top end you will want to look into head gaskets designed for boosted engines. Studs will be a good idea to hold the heads on. Get a cam designed for your plans, talk to Comp Cams and they will hook you up with the right cam for your ideas. Now you are going to need to also let them know what rockers you are going to use. Your valve springs are going to need to be upgraded as well. A porting and polishing of the intake and heads also a good idea here. Now that you have some idea, answer a few questions and lets go from there.

Massey

Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Overdrive Member

OH and you are going to have to spend about $2000-$4000 just for the SC and about the same for the work on the engine.

Massey

Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevenmer3
anyone want to give some real help not from "torque is good". SC seems easier and cheaper so thats what what im going with

after you find out the true costs of your "frequently asked question", and it is frequently asked, you will find that my reply was spot on.

Go back and read what some are saying needs to be done to your engine and drivetrain. Then, add it all up and you will find that you can buy a drag car for less money that will outrun what you will have.

But, TIG is not being helpful at all. How much $$$ do you honestly have for this project. That alone will tell you if it's a pipe dream.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
OH and you are going to have to spend about $2000-$4000 just for the SC and about the same for the work on the engine.

Massey

so, $4,000 times 2 = $8,000 and we haven't even addressed the tranny, suspension or rear end.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by H2C
Best bet is go about 13.9 to 1 compression and get like a t6 turbo and just kinda mash it in there, then sell the car when you almost die from the resulting explosion and learn that you do not turbo v8s, only supercharge
boost is boost.... 13.9 compression is waaaay too high for boost regardless of turbo or SC.

Originally Posted by H2C
!3 compression would blow most v8s no matter what, im just saying turbos are really only good for 4 cyls unless its strip only.
again, this isnt really true. forgive me but you are speaking as if your experience comes from a series of friends with skittles and DSMs who cranked the boost way up and suffered the consequences of not building the car around the power adder
Originally Posted by H2C
And im sorry i wasnt trying to sound harsh or anything, But turbos are not street friendly at more than like 10 psi, and you experience a medley of side effects, like but not limited to, lag lag lag lag lag and LAG, V8s have much longer strokes than 4 cyls and as such do not take well to turbos. Superchargers are much better pretty much always and especially on most v8s. Again i was not trying to sound harsh or mean or anything. Best of luck however
lag has more to do with compressing the plumbing and less to do with the chamber itself. Yes, it will take longer to compress a larger chamber, but you also have that much more exhaust gas spinning the turbo.

IMO he is actually giving some good things to think about. I wouldnt worry too much about what H2C is saying. there isnt a whole lot of rationale behind it, it is just a reflection of the predominant thought typically seen in games like need for speed. you turbo 4 cyls and supercharge V8s... But I would like to see you have that discussion with a group of cobalt drivers or AMG drivers....

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

thank you massey veryyy helpful i guess ill do little by little then if i don want to SC it i will but ill just do some upgrades right now. oh and thanks specter both of you guys helped me alot

Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
4th Gear Member

thank you massey veryyy helpful i guess ill do little by little then if i don want to SC it i will but ill just do some upgrades right now. oh and thanks specter both of you guys helped me alot
now you are talking!!!

My 4th gen LT1 is an automatic 4L60E. I did a stock rebuild on it. After long tubes, CAI, airfoil, cat delete, 1.6 rr's and a 93 octane tune by Solomon, it ate up the stock rebuild. I then did a more solid rebuild.

You have an m6 which has less power drain than the A4. So, with the same mods as i, you would put even more to the ground and I think you'll be shocked at the performance.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:06 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

@ Spectre, i regret my first post i was being a jerk, 13.9 is really just too high for most cars, Smaller motor cars come from the factory at as much as 11 and i think most 8s are what 9 tops? but almost 14 is just huge regardless. Turbos regardless of what how where will just not spool as fast as a supercharger, because SC dont spool. Well i guess those Turbo style SC do but idk about those, most likely with his budget were looking at a roots style. It all comes down to the style of motor, so idk, Its your car to do what you like. But i do NOT draw my knowledge from need for speed, Ive hung around performance enthusiasts all my life and am one myself.

Last edited by H2C; 02-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Z28 engine rebuild turbo?