Z28 engine rebuild turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Exclamation Z28 engine rebuild turbo?

Wanting to put turbo in my v8 6 sp but need to rebuild the engine appartently where do i start with this project or sould i just go supercharge and be done with it lol

Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Overdrive Member

The biggest issue you are going to have putting a turbo on the car is where to put the turbo. As you already know there is not alot of room for the equipment in the engine bay. A supercharger will simplify the forced induction install by not having to worry about exhaust plumbing.

Now both setups are going to require a build to that device. Things like cams and valve train mods are going to be different between a Turbo or SC. With a turbo the cam profile maximizes the exhaust velocity to improve impeller speed but that will hurt a SC engine which maximizes the intake side to allow the most air and fuel to enter the engine, but leaving enough exhaust gasses in the chamber to prevent detonation and overheating. Both systems will need lower than normal compression but the compression is going to depend on how much boost you are planning for. Also with any forced induction you will want to build for durability, things like steel forged crank, stronger rods, splayed mains are just some of the things that will make the engine last longer.

Massey

Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
4th Gear Member

I'm looking forward to following this build thread. What is your realistic budget $$$ to accomplish this?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Best bet is go about 13.9 to 1 compression and get like a t6 turbo and just kinda mash it in there, then sell the car when you almost die from the resulting explosion and learn that you do not turbo v8s, only supercharge

Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H2C
Best bet is go about 13.9 to 1 compression and get like a t6 turbo and just kinda mash it in there, then sell the car when you almost die from the resulting explosion and learn that you do not turbo v8s, only supercharge

huh?

I'm a bit confused here. Please elaborate on the differences between 6 pounds of boost coming from a supercharger vs a turbocharger? Why would one grenade an engine while the other would not?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
H2C
2nd Gear member

!3 compression would blow most v8s no matter what, im just saying turbos are really only good for 4 cyls unless its strip only.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 PM

well guess im going the supercharged way haha and im not sure what my budget is i guess around 3-4k if im doing a complete rebuild but from the sounds of it a super charger wont require the whole rebuild thing. Soooooo can some one give me a guided step by step of what to buy/install 1st

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevenmer3
well guess im going the supercharged way haha and im not sure what my budget is i guess around 3-4k if im doing a complete rebuild but from the sounds of it a super charger wont require the whole rebuild thing. Soooooo can some one give me a guided step by step of what to buy/install 1st
what are you talking about? Seriously, is your decision being made because of something posted in a forum.

Let's review, I asked that poster what's the difference between 6 lbs of boost from a turbo vs a supercharger and he did not respond to the question.

Now, you post as if his comments about s/c vs t/c are factual and accurate and state you are going to s/c and have a budget of $3k-$4k. I suggest that you use the search feature because you'd better be prepared to spend more than double that to build your engine, add forced induction and then build your tranny and rear end to handle the power.

please use the search feature and also take a guess at how many times your question has been asked. Next, take a stab at how many times those who pose the question ever really get around to doing it.......................

welcome to the forums, but start with the bolt ons first.

honestly, if you really want a go fast car, and are really serious about rebuilding your engine to handle forced induction and then actually do it, you could go to racingjunk.com and buy a drag car that would beat what you would be building by at least a second and spend less money buying the car.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
huh?

I'm a bit confused here. Please elaborate on the differences between 6 pounds of boost coming from a supercharger vs a turbocharger? Why would one grenade an engine while the other would not?
Unless the engine is built as stout as turbo-diesel, the 13.9 compression will cause the engine to grenade regardless of the amount of boost. lol

To really take advantage of forced induction you need low compression and high boost. Besides avoiding detonation, the lower compression results in a larger combustion chamber where more air can be crammed in using the same boost. More air= more power.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

And im sorry i wasnt trying to sound harsh or anything, But turbos are not street friendly at more than like 10 psi, and you experience a medley of side effects, like but not limited to, lag lag lag lag lag and LAG, V8s have much longer strokes than 4 cyls and as such do not take well to turbos. Superchargers are much better pretty much always and especially on most v8s. Again i was not trying to sound harsh or mean or anything. Best of luck however

Quick Reply: Z28 engine rebuild turbo?