WS6 and SS, overrated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WS6 and SS, overrated?

I never said that drag racing doesn't take any skill, just not enough to keep me interested. We've got an old, low traffic,stretch of road that some buddy's of mine will head out to now and again and practice our launch, shifting, racing,etc. However, after about a half hour ofthat I'm bored with just straight line speed. There's very little that can compare to going from 4th to 2nd and feeling the *** end of the car carry you through the corner, I never get bored racing with turns and elevation changes.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: BAN WS6

That's been my problem over the years. I'm not really a drag guy, it's too simple, too much car and not enough driver skill. I like ripping through the corners learning when to downshift andwhat gear you need to go into. The type of driving that really makes you plan ahead and respond according to what you're car is telling you. This normally wouldn't be a problem when choosing a car but I also love American Muscle and despise most imports. As much as I love Camaro's and Trans Am's their suspensions can't even begin to hold a torch to most imports. I almost picked up a twin turbo Supra once but just couldn't bring myself to do it, too much of a redneck I guess.

Hmmm i dont know about no skill. Sounds like you havnt been around too long. My friend ran a 16 with his cobalt SS spun half way down the track my first run was a 14.9 after a few passes i had a 14.5 and a 14.3 in a all stock ss still to this day he has problems runing high 14s. Hell just the other day i watched two mustangs a cobra and a mach one at the track. Both drivers where new just droping the clutch and spinning first and second gears. Latter the mach got it right and was running 13.5s to his 14.1 before. He was a good kind nice guy. The cobra is out there some where still burning his ruber off. I love any type of racing. But dont tell me drag takes no skill. THAT IS BS.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the F-body is overrated then whats that make newerGT, GTO LS2, and Charger SRT-8. The LS1 F-body is a ten year old platform that still out perfomes cars that are way after its time. AndNot just in the 1/4 mile. Take the three cars above on a back road then take the F-BODY. The only car thats going to out handle it is the GT and then the F-BODY will blow its doors off on the next straight away. Once again this platform was built in 1998 almost ten years ago and it still holds its own with the best of them.Even the V6 is fun to drive on back roads and handles great even to todays standards.OVERRATED? HOW ABOUT UNDER?

Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's an idea, why don't you people actually try reading the posts I put up instead of just reading what you want in them.First, I never said drag racing takes no skill. I said it doesn't take as much skillas say on a road course, which I personally prefer. Secondly, I was never bashing the F-body. I was criticizing the WS6 and SS so called "Performance Package" seeing as to how it doesn't really add any noticeable performance.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 AM
April 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: BAN WS6

Here's an idea, why don't you people actually try reading the posts I put up instead of just reading what you want in them. First, I never said drag racing takes no skill. I said it doesn't take as much skill as say on a road course, which I personally prefer. Secondly, I was never bashing the F-body. I was criticizing the WS6 and SS so called "Performance Package" seeing as to how it doesn't really add any noticeable performance.
Yup

Old 08-30-2007, 07:19 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

[sm=imsorry.gif]I see what you are saying. It just seamed like you where bashing the F-body as a hole. Yes from a performace stand point there isnt that big of a change. Just a little here and there. The WS6 and the SS do turn heads vs the z28 and the TA not that they dont just a little less. There is a little to the SS and WS6 packagesbut if you want to spend a few bucks you can make then the same car oreven better. The fact is the Z28, TA, WS6, SS, Firehawk, And SLP camaro are veary underrated for what they are. There are not that many cars you can buy for under 15K that can run low 13s FROM THE FACTORY. And to end my RANT a stockLS1Z28/TA will still kick the **** out of a mach1/cobra. [sm=rant.gif][sm=closed.gif]and thats good for me.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Hell no I'm not bashing the F-body it's a nice handling car, especially for an American car. My main complaint was that I bought into the hype of the SS, WS6 mystique. Don't get me wrong, I love my Trans Am and I love the fact that it's a true blue WS6, I was just a little disappointed in the "Performance" aspect of the Performance Package. It's hard to describe really what I mean. There's a reason I'm not a Mustang guy, Fords are piles of ****, and the only two things they do well are go straight and not turn. I just wish Amercian auto makers would take some of the time to build suspension systems that would rival European sports cars.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Add some subframe braces, springs, and beef up the sway bars and you might be inpressed by its handling. My springs alone made a big diffrence in the car. Its alot stiffer and hugs the road now. Better breaks wound'nt hurt if you plan on running it hard thats my next project .

Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Any specific springs or spring ratios you recommend. When I had my 78 Z28 it was a ****ing nightmare finding the right spring, even with the light duty springs it sat like it had no engine. Also, recommend any specific shocks? I'm looking for anything that's a serious sports suspension all the way to something that could be used for a real racing situation, comfort is not an option.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 PM
ROTM Winner's Club

Eibach Sportline its 1.6 in the front 1.4 in the back the car sits a little stiff and low for most people but for auto cross or taking it to any road track they are great. I use KYB AGX shocks.