Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: WS6 and SS, overrated?

yall heard of the black bird, omg that is a sexy t\a

Old 08-26-2007, 07:57 PM
January 2007 ROTM

I don't care about the comparison .... I will take my SS over any other .. any day !!!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have a 99 V6 that I changed the sway bars and rim and tire size.It sits very low to theground which helps in handeling.I love the way it handels. I have never taken it to a course but through country roads, on and off ramp, expecially the rotary by my house,for you out of towners "round-a-bout" it sticks and holds awsome. I am not running a V8, but at high speeds its fun to drive anything other than straight.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

That's been my problem over the years. I'm not really a drag guy, it's too simple, too much car and not enough driver skill. I like ripping through the corners learning when to downshift andwhat gear you need to go into. The type of driving that really makes you plan ahead and respond according to what you're car is telling you. This normally wouldn't be a problem when choosing a car but I also love American Muscle and despise most imports. As much as I love Camaro's and Trans Am's their suspensions can't even begin to hold a torch to most imports. I almost picked up a twin turbo Supra once but just couldn't bring myself to do it, too much of a redneck I guess.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: BAN WS6

That's been my problem over the years. I'm not really a drag guy, it's too simple, too much car and not enough driver skill. I like ripping through the corners learning when to downshift andwhat gear you need to go into. The type of driving that really makes you plan ahead and respond according to what you're car is telling you. This normally wouldn't be a problem when choosing a car but I also love American Muscle and despise most imports. As much as I love Camaro's and Trans Am's their suspensions can't even begin to hold a torch to most imports. I almost picked up a twin turbo Supra once but just couldn't bring myself to do it, too much of a redneck I guess.
Actually 4th gens are the best handleing muscle cars on the market. mainly becouse were the motors are placed (lol way under neath the dash!)

Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: BAN WS6

ha...haha...hahahaha, not enough skill involved?! Sure, a lot of a drag race depends on the car, but between 2 well paired cars the race is made within the first 60', which is all driver skill. Learning how far you can push the RPM on the launch, how much gas you can give it before the tires break loose, how long to do your burnout etc. There's a ton of skill that goes into a drag race, it takes a lot of practice to get a perfect reaction time. I'm not saying that any other racing takes more/less skill, but there is a lot of skill for any race, even if there aren't turns.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
4th Gear Member

People who think drag racing takes very little skill usually have never drivin a fast drag car.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

People who think drag racing takes very little skill usually have never drivin a fast drag car.
Yea, I find that statment very much true. I prefure a track with turns over a drag strip. But I still find drag racing to be fun & challening. And theres nothing quite like that atmosphere at the drag strip. Plus drag racing is alot more practical for the everyday car enthusiest to enjoy. In track racing you can go threw several sets of tires & maybe even some brakes pads in just one race. On top of anydamage the car can get from racing & the suspention & tranmition, it can get very exspensive. However you can go drag racing with your daily driver & be right there with the competition.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:47 PM
4th Gear Member

WS6/SS +'s:
Appearance...
Exhaust/intake (but these are often the first thing to get replaced when modding...so pointless imo)
Suspension (yet again, easy modification)

Only benefit I see about is an SS is it will look the way I would want it to look, and i wont have to buy and paint a spoiler and hood

oh, and dont forget the big ego boost that comes w/ an SS

Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM

ORIGINAL: TheStig

He is exsactly right.

Z28 = WS6 = SS = Trans Am

They were mostly for colectiblity value & cosmetics.

As far as handling goes, the camaro isent only for strait line driving. It is accully one of the better handling muscle cars out there. The engine is mounted far enought back to have good weight distrabution. One of the biggest things aginst the handling is, unlike the corvette, it has a solid rear axil.
i can vouch for this because ive had many camaros and they definitely hold there own in the handling department especially for their size and wieght. plus its always fun to see peoples faces in their hondas when you stay with them through a few turns.