At Wits End

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 06:43 PM
4th Gear Member

Awesome,hope that's the fix it sure sounds like it.
Electrical gremlins are the worst,these cars are getting old so that can be expected.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:28 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by UH_ME
For what it's worth and to possibly help anyone with a similar problem down the line, figured I would keep this updated. While I was fiddling on it the other day, I noticed the plug in on the MAF sensor was a bit corroded (not the part connected by the wire, but the part connected to the sensor itself) So I went ahead and ordered one. It came in today while I was at work and I threw it on really quick during lunch. The starting issues are now gone, and it seems to idles the right way now. Haven't been able to take it on a test drive yet, but fingers crossed that was solution to the other issues as well.
I have not seen that before. Normally when that connector goes bad you end up with either MAF sensor or a random misfire code. I have put a lot of those connector on. Got to wonder that the open was just right to cause arcing which would send high voltage, no amperage spikes into the ECM.

I do forget things when I am sitting in a chair and not actually working on the car. One of the thing I always did as a quick test was disconnect the MAF sensor just to see if the car changed running. That was almost always one of the first checks like checking voltage and fuses.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-11-2022 at 06:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:21 PM

I have found what I believe to be my problem. I've been on a hunt checking the wires all over the place, and I think I know what the problem is. My transmission speed sensor wire. I pulled a little on the wiring and realized that one of the two (the grayish purple one) had a lot of slack. Lo and behold. The wire is broken.

Now, the wires go above the transmission, so I'm wondering: does anyone know where this thing goes so I can run a new one? My guess is the PCM, but I have no idea which wire over there is the culprit and honestly, don't know how to tell. :/ But My thoughts are I can run a new wire via a different route if need be to where it needs to go.

Last edited by UH_ME; 11-08-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

mine runs up the passenger side along the trans to the firewall/wheel well area on the passenger side to the pcm/ecm

Old 11-09-2022, 10:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you haven't yet download or purchase a factory service manual for your year.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

download manual here https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti click 94svcman

Old 11-12-2022, 07:28 PM

First off, I want to say thanks to everyone that has taken the time to help me out. It is greatly appreciated. And with the input from @craby , I got the wire reconnected. Took it for a short drive and every symptom was gone. It shifted great, had all my power back. It was absolutely wonderful.

I only went about a mile and turned around because I was a little low on gas and it was late anyway. Got home, put my dash etc. back together. And decided to take it for a drive into town. Stopped and got gas about 3 miles from my house. After dropping 40 bucks in the tank (gas prices suck), I started the car up and noticed immediately it was a weaker start than normal, but the rpms were steady and the engine sounded good. I chocked it up to releasing the key a fraction too soon.

I pulled up a few feet out of the fuel island and into a drive through to grab a pack of cigarettes and sat there for about 10 minutes in the line, and noticed I started getting surges in the RPMs as if I were slightly revving the engine. And I swear for half a second it felt like the car lurched forward, but it only did it once.

I grabbed my cigarettes and went down the road about another mile and I started intermediately losing power. Almost enough to stall the engine out. I looked for a place to pull off and swung into a Wal Mart parking lot. Turned the car off, and ran inside the store to grab a few things. When I came out, the car wouldn't start. And its still there.

I've had intermittent starting issues before, but thought I fixed it when I replaced the MAF sensor. But I guess not. Historically speaking, I've had to let it set a few hours to cool completely down to get it going again. Hoping I can get it started to limp it home tomorrow. I'm about to drive it into a ditch somewhere and leave it. :'(

Old 11-12-2022, 07:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Sure sounds like Optispark issues.

Old 11-12-2022, 08:14 PM

Forgot to mention, After I fixed the wire, the codes disappeared. All good there, and the light never came back on. Obviously, haven't checked since it since the car stopped starting, but the engine light never came on again.

Old 11-12-2022, 09:46 PM

Not going to lie, I'm really not wanting to replace that thing. Seems like a major pain to get to, and it seems like a pretty expensive part. Do you know of any good way to test it?

Quick Reply: At Wits End