Windshield wiper problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Windshield wiper problem.

Did a search, found several possible options just needing clarification.

My wipers are finicky and only work at certain times. At certain points they won't turn on at all unless I use the spray and they'll kick on, at others like tonight they won't turn on at all. But the one common theme is with moisture...figures. If my vehicle is sitting outside and is dry, wipers work fine. If I'm driving and then it begins to rain the wipers work fine. If my vehicle sits outside during the rain and I go to leave, no wipers. So, assuming that water may possibly be dripping down into the area where the motor is and causing problems, not really sure. What are your opinions on this?

I'll be going out tomorrow and taking the cowl off and trying to get to the wiper motor or check out the wiring etc. What fuse also controls the wipers? Any and all helpful info welcome. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:12 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would look to the wiper motor unit, the circuit board can fail and do some strange stuff. have you seen this, found in the how to and faq sticky at the top of this section https://camaroforums.com/forum/4th-g...rmation-66130/

Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Didn't see anything about a circuit board on that write up though. And couldn't find anything in my haynes manual when I was looking through it earlier either...maybe I over looked it idk.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its called a wiper motor cover, the cost was so much i just bought a new wiper motor when mine went wacko.

AC Delco 12367295 Wiper Motor Cover | Auto Parts Warehouse

Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Ok, Ill look again. I will take the cowl off and go from there with removing the linkage and so on...see what I can find or notice. Looking at that link of the wiper motor cover, those look like fuse relays? Would something like that have to be replaced as a whole unit or are those relays that can be replaced individually?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I used to have a problem with my wipers. Turned out I needed a whole new motor

Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the motor comes with the cover. as far as i know you need to get the whole cover. you may be able to replace the failing part in the cover but i wouldnt know how to find the one thats failing. like i said the cost of just the cover was so much that i thought if the motor went bad after changing the cover i would have to buy the whole unit anyways. plus would have to take that dang thing out again. pita.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok, well I have it out. Tested the harness and I'm getting the 12v I would need. Turn the switch onto high and the motor doesn't make a noise at all and isn't turning. So, bad motor I guess. But, now I can't get that stupid center bolt which holds the motor onto the bracket off! It looks like a regular hex wrench, I'm using size t30, but I can't get it to budge and the wrench keeps popping off and not holding in...this freaking thing seems harder for it's size than the other work I've done.

Or is that WHOLE UNIT the entire motor? As in, they're purchased together? confused...

Last edited by JGuy07; 02-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the bracket comes with a new motor. should be three bolts holding the motor unit in.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks, after messing with it for awhile I can hear it click every now and then but overall there is nothing happening so it's burnt out I guess.

I'm missing some of the bolts holding the motor onto the bracket, I have one of the three outer bolts in and also the center bolt which goes through the linkage arm thing. So looks like a new motor for me. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper problem.