Windshield Washer Pump R&R

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Default Windshield Washer Pump R&R

1997 Pontiac Firebird. I need to remove & replace the windshield washer pump. Looks like the large bracket that sits above it has to be removed to get in there. Problem is that with my respectable collection of tools I can find nothing to remove the two outer (L & R) bolts that hold it to the core support. This is a large bracket that I guess supports the nose of the car. I can see the bolts, but the bracket has a 'corner' right where a wrench would fit. I have considered cutting the bracket so as to gain access to the bolts, but wanted to post up here asking others before I start hacking on the car.

Looking at the way it is assembled, I believe a service manual would suggest removing the nose of the car, something I do not want to do unless I have to. If I can get the two bolts out, the top and bottom bolts are easily accessable, and I believe the bracket could be removed (have to unbolt the hood latch too IIRC).

As anybody replaced the washer pump before (I'm sure someone has)? I tried to search for this in the forums, but came up empty.

Suggestions? It's that time of the year that the windshield is a mess more then not.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear member

hmmm...i removed the front bumper (plastic body part) and then the actual bumper with the plastic hineycomb when i removed my reservoir... the actual bumper was held on by 4 bolts.. not to sure why u would need a specialty tool to do this

Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Overdrive Member

I have removed the nose of the firebird several times and I dont remember any strange tools needed to make that happen. If memory serves me right the washer pump can be accessed once you remove the plastic bracket that goes between the bumper cover and core support. (and yes that is a pain in the tail when you leave the cover in place)

Massey

Last edited by Massey; 12-13-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 AM

This time of year it is dark out by the time I arrive home from work. Still, I'll see about getting a clean picture.

Sounds as if removing the front nose (bumper cover) of the car is the preferred way to get to the washer pump. If it is only four bolts, then perhaps it is much easier then I was anticipating.

Since the garage is currently tied up with my Saturn engine in pieces, I'll have to wait until the temps are above freezing. Might be a week or so.