Will 87 firebird rims fit my 97 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Default Will 87 firebird rims fit my 97 camaro?

Sorry, I know this may be a dumb wuestion, but honestly I don't know alot about these type of things.

I have a 87 firebird which is a complete garbage car. I am likely going to take this to the scrap yard and take w/e money they will give me for the metal. It starts, but the car does not run long and is just garbage.

My question though is because I have a 97 Camaro (6 cyl) and I wanted to know if I could scrap the wheels off my 87 firebird and use them for the camaro. If I can do it what spacers etc. would I need? Has anyone tried this? I bought my Camaro used with aftermarket rims. Problem is one of the tires does not stay inflated for more then a week at a time, so I think the rim is bent. I cannot find these rims anywhere to replace it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Overdrive Member

Have you tried doing this, since you have the car anyways? Wouldn't take but a few minutes to try just one wheel.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
Have you tried doing this, since you have the car anyways? Wouldn't take but a few minutes to try just one wheel.

No I have not tried. Reason being the 87 firebird has locked lugnuts that need a key or somthing. Problem is I bought it long ago without the key. So to take them off I need like an airgun which I do not have. I know someone that has one and we copuld likely get those wheels off and then simply put on regular lugnuts after we swap it however I don't wanna bother him with the whole thing if it's pointless because it will not fit.

If I don't get an answer I will certainly try it and then let you guys know how it worked or didn't. If I could get a sure answer though I'd rather not waste his time.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Parrish
No I have not tried. Reason being the 87 firebird has locked lugnuts that need a key or somthing. Problem is I bought it long ago without the key. So to take them off I need like an airgun which I do not have. I know someone that has one and we copuld likely get those wheels off and then simply put on regular lugnuts after we swap it however I don't wanna bother him with the whole thing if it's pointless because it will not fit.

If I don't get an answer I will certainly try it and then let you guys know how it worked or didn't. If I could get a sure answer though I'd rather not waste his time.
same bolt pattern different backspacing. i think third gen cars need a spacer to use forth gen wheels so not sure how that will work for you

Old 04-25-2009, 06:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

i think you need 2" spacers.