Why Winterize

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Why Winterize

I keep reading about people putting their cars up for the winter... What are the reasons for doing this?

I can't do it because this car is my DD, but I was just curious as to why everyone else does.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
3rd Gear Member

Because not everyone's Camaro is their DD. Even if some people do use it as their DD during the warmer months, the Camaro is not a very practical car in the winter. If you can grab a beater car for a couple hundred bucks, it will save you money. You can pull the Camaro off your insurance for those few months, and pay cheaper insurance on the beater.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

But what makes it "not a very practical car in the winter?" Other than slipping on ice/snow, what other problems do these cars have in cold weather?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Rear wheel drive cars are hard to handle in the snow, especially a Camaro.
Dumping the car in a ditch really is no fun.
Some other drivers on the road don't know how to drive in the snow, and can smash into your car.
Snow and salt rusts the body, frame, and everything else.
If a beater can be budgeted, better to beat the beater than the Camaro.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I put both my Camaro's up for winter as I do not want salt & other road garbage associated with winter on them. My insurance for my 2000 Z is a low annual mileage type full coverage for a mere $41 a month!

That & Z-rated tires are worthless on slippery snow & ice!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Rear wheel drive cars are hard to handle in the snow, especially a Camaro.
Dumping the car in a ditch really is no fun.
Some other drivers on the road don't know how to drive in the snow, and can smash into your car.
Snow and salt rusts the body, frame, and everything else.
If a beater can be budgeted, better to beat the beater than the Camaro.
How easily do they rust?? I put a fresh coat of wax in maybe september will that help?

Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

Cars that have seen the winter and salt start to break down, thats why people say never seen a winter when they sell their car... if you put your car into a ditch it might be ok from that but have fun pulling it out,,, thats where the damage happend to 3 of my friends... my car gets put away but its def good because my insurance is 240 a month and on the beater its 50

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

wax helps the body of ur car but you cant wax the frame and underbody soooo

Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well your body is mostly plastic, other than the hood and upper rear quarters which are metal. The wax job will protect the paint. The underneath of the car; frame, floors, etc. are the parts you need to be more concerned about. How much they rust depends on how well the car was taken care of before you got it, and how you take care of it now. Our winters (with all the lovely road salt) can really play hell on a car. Check your underneath and remove any surface rust you may have, then spray it with a rust preventative paint before it gets away from you. And, keeping the car as clean as possible in the winter will help. Take it to a car wash with an underneath wash after the snow clears, or take it to a manual wash where you can clean underneath it.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Well your body is mostly plastic, other than the hood and upper rear quarters which are metal. The wax job will protect the paint. The underneath of the car; frame, floors, etc. are the parts you need to be more concerned about. How much they rust depends on how well the car was taken care of before you got it, and how you take care of it now. Our winters (with all the lovely road salt) can really play hell on a car. Check your underneath and remove any surface rust you may have, then spray it with a rust preventative paint before it gets away from you. And, keeping the car as clean as possible in the winter will help. Take it to a car wash with an underneath wash after the snow clears, or take it to a manual wash where you can clean underneath it.
I believe this is its second or third winter, first for me, every other year the car was garaged till it was nice out. There's a tiny bit of rust on the underside towards the back. I'll get it washed later today and see about rust preventative, thanks .