Who knows how to Install egr valve. 1994 camaro v6. Help me thanks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Who knows how to Install egr valve. 1994 camaro v6. Help me thanks.

Well I bought a 1994 chevy camaro v6. When I bought the car the guy said that the vehicle would need a egr valve to be replaced thats why the service engine light was coming on and off on the car. Well the car had one replaced 30,000 miles ago which makes me wonder why It needs a new one so fast after replacement. Well the car has had about fifty miles put on since I bought the car and the car came with a half a tank of gas. Well something Is obviously wrong there. Could this be a egr valve or gasket or something. I am not sure when the last time the plugs or filters were replaced but I will replace them also. I am wondering what you guys think could be wrong because I dont want to spend 150 on a part that I wont need for the car. Maybe the egr valve Just needs to be cleaned but then again that wouldnt fix the actual problem. I am wondering If you can find a website that will show me how to Install the egr valve specifically In my car step by step. I searched the Internet but couldnt find anything. What are your tips on how to replace a egr valve. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

... im confused i get the egr install but what are you talking about with the gas??? 50 miles drained half a tank??? that could be normal these gas gauges are really really really unreliable my Z is empty at an eight and my 3.4 could do about 120 miles before the needle moved from full... as for the egr its on the pass side of the motor mounted to a pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold there should be 2 bolts that hold it on (10mm) unbolt those and its off (im not sure weather the 94 is electronic or vacuum either way disconnect either the plug or vac line) make sure you soak the crap out of the bolts with some pb blaster or else you be drilling and retapping the egr line

Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
... im confused i get the egr install but what are you talking about with the gas??? 50 miles drained half a tank??? that could be normal these gas gauges are really really really unreliable my Z is empty at an eight and my 3.4 could do about 120 miles before the needle moved from full... as for the egr its on the pass side of the motor mounted to a pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold there should be 2 bolts that hold it on (10mm) unbolt those and its off (im not sure weather the 94 is electronic or vacuum either way disconnect either the plug or vac line) make sure you soak the crap out of the bolts with some pb blaster or else you be drilling and retapping the egr line
Yes I was saying that 50 miles drained the tank empty. Well I was thinking this might be because the egr valve Is bad causing the car to run rich. What are you saying about clean the bolts. Like the bolt that holds the vaccum hose on or the tiny bolt that holds the egr valve on. I cant see why that would be need cleaning I would think more like the actual egr valve holes would need to be cleaned. Also this wont really fix the problem If I Just cleaned the egr valve right that would say that I only cleaned the valve I didnt actually fix any problems. What causes a egr valve to go bad like Is there something else that I need to replace that will make the egr valve not go bad again. Could I get away with Just cleaning the valve or should I buy a new one. Whats your advice. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The fuel tank gauges are not accurate. When the gauge reads 1/2 tank, theres only about three gallons in there. And E means E! I learned this the hard way, twice, haha and ran out of gas. There isnt any reserve in those tanks! Just fyi.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Before you throw a 150$ when in the car fill the tank and see what you get I'm pretty sure your problem is the crap sending units

Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Droid

A bad EGR won't make the engine run rich, if anything it will make it run lean. Have you scanned the PCM for codes? It is a lot cheaper than throwing parts at the problem.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by z28pete
A bad EGR won't make the engine run rich, if anything it will make it run lean. Have you scanned the PCM for codes? It is a lot cheaper than throwing parts at the problem.
I have been told that I cant buy a code reader for this car but then again I have been told that I could Idk what to believe of people saying I can or cant.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
Before you throw a 150$ when in the car fill the tank and see what you get I'm pretty sure your problem is the crap sending units
Alright I will fill the tank up. What sending units are you talking about. I am new to learning about cars. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by royco95
The fuel tank gauges are not accurate. When the gauge reads 1/2 tank, theres only about three gallons in there. And E means E! I learned this the hard way, twice, haha and ran out of gas. There isnt any reserve in those tanks! Just fyi.
My car will show like a little below 1/4 tank but when I start the car It goes down to the e. Are you saying then that the tank at half has three gallons. Well then are you saying that the meter thing will stay at full for a long time. Is there a way I can fix this or buy a working gauge thanks.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

The problem is the shape of the tank which makes the gauge inaccurate you'll notice you can go really far from full to half and about a quarter that from half to empty

Quick Reply: Who knows how to Install egr valve. 1994 camaro v6. Help me thanks.