Where does the air conditioning go on a 1995 3.4v Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Default Where does the air conditioning go on a 1995 3.4v Camaro

My car is a 1995 3.4v camaro.

I bought a big tube of R134a from Auto Zone

I cant seem to find where it goes in my car.

Do I need to set my car up with anything special to put it in there?

My cousin simply put the can on a slot his 1995 Eclipse had and connected the things needed it was really easy to do.

I am beginning to think my car doesnt have the ability to simply plug in a can of R134a and get the air conditioning working...

Where would it be and what Do I need besides the can?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default gauge and hose

you need a gauge and a hose to connect it and to measure the pressure. look at autozone or whatever parts store you have nearby you (you can get a hose with a gauge right on it). the access port you need to get to is on the left side of the car near the egr. right on top. may or may not have a black cap on it. if it does, the cap needs to come off and you should be able to find where the hose connects pretty easily.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ i think your talking about the fuel pressure and you dont want to put refrigerant in the fuel.
op there should be a fittings on the aluminum pipes on your passenger side wheelwell that go into the firewall on that side. the fitting on the container hose should only fit on one of them. whats going on with the a/c? have you had it scanned to see it there are a couple codes from your a/c?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

along with craby. if you need to add freon, then there is a leak somewhere. unless you just had it worked on and you need to refill it. but if you need it you need to find out where its leaking or it will just leak out again. might take 6 months, might take 6 hours to do so.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

thats not always true dopez28, freon will eventually uncharge and after a couple of uses will need to be refilled

Old 08-22-2010, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

no, its a closed system. it dosnt get used or anything.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

If you go for a full winter without running the A/C (just to keep it working) eventualy it will exhaust. The systems requires a 'priming' - so run it for just a minutes in the middle of January. After a few seasons of not running it it will die out.
Alazar, if you are asking this question I think you might be in for it. Go buy a repair manual. The A/C lines have two ports, one for emptying the system (for repairs) and one for filling. The two ports have different conection couplers so you cant accidentaly hook up to the wrong port. One should be towards the top of the engine and one towards the bottom. It should connect much like any air tool - so you will need good finger thumb dexterity.
Do you have a blacklight? if so, some refill tanks come with a UV dye to find leaks, just turn the UV light on and find the leak.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by cplthomas
If you go for a full winter without running the A/C (just to keep it working) eventualy it will exhaust. The systems requires a 'priming' - so run it for just a minutes in the middle of January. After a few seasons of not running it it will die out.
Alazar, if you are asking this question I think you might be in for it. Go buy a repair manual. The A/C lines have two ports, one for emptying the system (for repairs) and one for filling. The two ports have different conection couplers so you cant accidentaly hook up to the wrong port. One should be towards the top of the engine and one towards the bottom. It should connect much like any air tool - so you will need good finger thumb dexterity.
Do you have a blacklight? if so, some refill tanks come with a UV dye to find leaks, just turn the UV light on and find the leak.
Cpl, I sorry bro but just about everything in this post is incorrect. All AC system are closed and sealed. If you do not use the system the compressor can seize but as long as the system does not leak the charge will be good 50 years from now. If you use your defroster in the winter you use the AC system.

The two connection that are on most systems are the High and low side pressures. You can drain and fill from either but filling into the highside can very slow and require a bottle warmer. The reason for the different connection is so we do not blow out our gages while testing the system. On some designs it much safer to start filling on the highside to be sure the compressor does not get a shot of freon in its liquid state. Liquid will not compress and will make a mess of your compressor. I think all GM designs have accumulator on the low side between the port and the compressor. This protects the compressor for a liquid charge.

High side pressure runs from the compressor to condensor then to the evaporator (in your dash) until it hit the orifice tub. This tube or "restriction" is where high side becomes low side pressure and thats where suff gets cold. The low side pressure runs to the compressor. Most cars have a accumulator (AKA a drier/receiver). This round canister looking part that is on the low side normally has the lowside port on it. That is where you want to charge your GM car from.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-22-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Gorn, I guess this is what happens when you are mostly self tought and make assumptions. You didnt have to say almost everything was incorect...sheesh. At least I suggested getting a repair manual. Anyways, I remember some old school guys reminding my great uncle to run the A/C in the winter, this was in the 70's though, so maybe I remember it wrong or it was just an old wives tale at the time.
I've recharged 2 cars with the over the counter stuff and once bought an adapter kit before buying the manual and almost wasted money on a coupler adaptor kit because I didnt know there were more than one connector.
Oh well, at least now I know more today than I woke up knowing, so thanks.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I did not mean to be rude sorry if I came off that way. I do not type well. I was trained at auto school and by GM on how to work on AC system. I was also lucky enough to live next to a guy that sized and installed home AC systems. We used to talk about some of the rules we had as automotive mechainic and he use to laugh at them. After a while he realized the rules that they teach to automotive techs are there because they assume the tech does not understand how an AC system work. Most do not.

I have know mechanic that have worked on AC system for decades tell me I should run my AC system atleast once a winter. Out of respect I keep my mouth shut but how in the heck do you work on AC systems and not realize the AC system is used in the defrost cycle? I have never met anyone that did not use defrost alteast once in the winter. I guess maybe in Texas but here in PA? When I get time I will work on a AC thread to explain how it works and how to do some of the work on it.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-22-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Where does the air conditioning go on a 1995 3.4v Camaro