When it rains, it pours

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Default When it rains, it pours

A few days ago My 94 3.4L 5 speed refused to start. The symptoms told me that it was a battery problem. So, this morning I woke up first thing and headed to wal-mart to take advantage of the 3 year warranty I have on my battery. (I could get it charged but I'm an immobile, impatient, person) I get home, hook it up, and try to crank it. All I got was a "Click" and then nothing, telling me my starter was shot. So I put her up in the air and removed the starter. And as you may already know the exhaust manifold acts as a cage and makes it impossible to remove the starter without unbolting the exhaust or dissasembling the starter under the car and pulling it out in two pieces, that goes for putting it back in too . After I installed the new starter I cranked it again and she fired right up, however the succesful start was accompanied by a loud squeel from the belt and smoke pouring from the compressor/alternator area. So, I turned off the car and did some inspecting only to find out my compressor froze up, shredding the belt. And thats where I'm at now, too broke to afford a new compressor and to ill-informed to realize an A/C compressor bypass belt still requires a pully in the compressors place which pisses me off because technically that's not a bypass, it's a replacement. My main question is, what do I need to do to have a fully routed engine minus the compressor/pully completely. Keep in mind I can't afford a new compressor or pully but a new belt is possible. HELP!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sorry but cant just get a shorter belt. i think it makes the water pump run backwards. cheapest i could find the delete was here 1994 CHEVROLET CAMARO 3.4L V6 Heat & Air Conditioning : A/C Compressor Bypass Pulley Auto Parts

Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Droid

Try unplugging the wires from the compressor, this should keep the compressor clutch disengaged and it should act as a plain idler pulley. If this works, you will be able to spin the compressor pulley by hand, and you won't have to change anything.