What would it take...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What would it take...

to beat a saleen mustang? My girlfriend lives in a wealthy area and there's a kid whose 18 and his parents bought him a saleen mustang. I'm not sure of the year, but it is one of the newer body saleens so we can assume atleast 05'. Anyways, he drives his car like a madman, flooring it from stop sign to stop sign. I just bought my z28 this weekend, and while right now it's in no condition to race, (only has magnaflows and needs new wheels), I'd love to know what it would take to put the kid in his place. In the near future i'm looking to get a lid, LT's, high flow catted y (i dont think ory would pass inspection), probably keep the magnaflow, put on a set of c6 wheels with nitto 555r drag radials, and higher gears. I'd also look into getting a stall but I don't really know much about them or how they work (i'm a bit of a noob)

edit: I don't think its the supercharged version either.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: What would it take...

Well u have an LS1 right? If so you just need an easy 30+ horsepower and hes yours. If its not charged it has 330hp, if it is you need 130+ horsepower as they have 435hp... and if you are just SOL and its the Extreme you need over 550horses lol.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I did a little research and I think the 330 might actually be bhp not rwhp. So maybe the race is closer than I thought already. that would mean he's somewhere around 270-280 rwhp if it's non-sc, which is basically the same as the ls1. Plus I think it weighs about a hundred lbs more. If that's the case Ishould beable totake him with a lid, a good set of wheels, and full exhaust. I know a lot of guys on here do plenty of street racing so I thought I'd get a lot more responses. maybe not.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Not to be allDr. Phil or anything, and from what it sounds like youare still in school. Try not kill yourself by impressing you girlfriend by beating a POS mustang. If you ask me people who floor it from stop sign to stop sign are dirtballs anyways. These are the people when they coming running down my neighborhood speeding... willusually find me with a bat the next time they come around.

If I was you I would do at the track. Spartan does make a point though, 20-30 HP and you should have'em.

Unless you got a mullet then I would say beat him on the street.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM

ORIGINAL: nsbjim

Not to be allDr. Phil or anything, and from what it sounds like youare still in school. Try not kill yourself by impressing you girlfriend by beating a POS mustang. If you ask me people who floor it from stop sign to stop sign are dirtballs anyways. These are the people when they coming running down my neighborhood speeding... willusually find me with a bat the next time they come around.

If I was you I would do at the track. Spartan does make a point though, 20-30 HP and you should have'em.

Whoops! I meant to say "unless you got a mullet I would say beat him on the track"

Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Well the kid with the stang is probably like 18 and still in high school, i'm in my 3rd year of college. So i'm young but i guess i'm not that young, so it's not quite about impressing my girlfriend and then making out under the bleachers. Just about me being irritated that this kids mommy and daddy bought him a saleen and he drives like he's got the end all be -all muscle car in town. As far as driving safe goes, i've been driving 4+ years, no tickets, no accidents. So if we did race, it would be down a long stretch of road like an open parkway, not on side streets.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Ninja Administrator

ls1's have 300rwhp usually and are definitly more powerful than an s197 mustang GT. The saleen intro upgrade is an intake an a tune, which can get those cars to right around 300rwhp,a nd they have a better launching suspension than you do. however it should still be close with the edge going to you the longer the race lasts. get some headers and he wont be able to touch you without a set of cams [8D]

Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Doesn't all 05 saleen's have 400 bhp? GT = 300 hp. Correct?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:41 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imtico

Doesn't all 05 saleen's have 400 bhp? GT = 300 hp. Correct?
No, google is your friend. the Saleen has 330bhp SC has 430bhp and the Extreme has 550bhp. the GT has 300bhp.

Yeah just a few bolt ons, intake and exhaust and you will smoke him. fortunately you weigh 3439 LBS without u in it. and he weights3550 LBS without him in it. So you mayb have a SLIGHT advantage. Take our your spare tire and gut the cat [8D]

Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

i have tried that and i ended up putting my old maro in a ditch...bad idea