what are some typical problems with the camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Default what are some typical problems with the camaro

I thinking about buying a fourth gen v6 camaro, so my question is what are some typical problems am i going to be dealing with. I searched around a bit and it seems everybody has different types of problems with it. Ive previously owned a 3000gt and i can tell you by researching and living through the hell of one these cars what exactly will fall apart or break besides the usual maintenance.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I am in my first Camaro, and I have only owned her since September, so my experience is limited. I have resolved a common problem by flushing the heater core, restoring heater function in a cold winter. This seems to be linked to the DexCool coolant that was standard in the mid-nineties. Reading the forums has revealed that the OptiSpark is a known concern.

This forum has been a wealth of insight and information. Just read around and have fun!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

leadfootitus is contracted on a regular basis by new and old owners. lol. camaro 69 has it bad. lol. the cars have issues just like any others do when getting aged. a couple i can think of are,,, intake leaks, oil and or water have been brought on here. also plastic piece in the cooling system likes to break and leak coolant.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 AM
1st Gear Member

The distributor and water pump (if they havent already been replaced) go out fairly easily and will probably eventually need to be, I and some other people around here have had problems with power locks, intake leaks and things like craby mentioned, other than that I can't think of too much else, I've had my '94Z since august and have went through all those problems.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
leadfootitus is contracted on a regular basis by new and old owners. lol. camaro 69 has it bad. lol. the cars have issues just like any others do when getting aged. a couple i can think of are,,, intake leaks, oil and or water have been brought on here. also plastic piece in the cooling system likes to break and leak coolant.
Lol, so true. It's a very common problem. I heard rear main seals have a tendency of going, too. Not sure on that one though. Leaky t-tops I think is another big one if equipped. Possibly some security system problems. I've had a cracked radiator, leaky t-tops, mild oil leak from some gasket, and a squeaky shock so far. But look around the forum, you'll find all the common problems people have been having. But I don't think it's much different from most older cars though. Depends on how well the car was taken care of.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 AM
2nd Gear member

Buying a V6, you won't have to worry about any optispark issues as you'll get a very reliable coil pack system. One thing I would probably do if I just purchased a used V6 4th-gen is replace the O2 sensors. Mine went out within months of each other when mileage was around 100,000 miles.

Also, the left seat-back bolster on the driver's side tends to wear quickly, especially if the interior is leather. Once you know this, you can watch out for it and prevent your seat from suffering this fate. And, the center console hinge design is poor and many break.

Fuel pumps can fail and are a living hell to replace unless you cut a hole in your car. The rear end is weak if you build nice power (not an issue with the V6). As mentioned, you might experience coolant leaks due to Dex-Cool coolant.

But, overall, the cars are very reliable if they have a proper maintenance history. I've owned my V6 since 2001 and it's almost at 200,000 miles (around 198,000 I think). It's never given me any issue that wasn't due to bad maintenance by a previous owner. It developed a lifter noise around 110,000 miles and when I tore the motor down it was evident oil changes were overlooked in the past.

As with anything, I would just say try to buy the cleanest, low miles Camaro you can find. A previous beater is going to give you hell, and can leave you cursing Camaros for the rest of your life. LOL

Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear Member

really? nobody mentions struts? my hatch struts have both been replaced twice in the last 2k miles, window motors go out quickly and are slow, vats the chip in your key goes out alot and is a costly repair, dash cracks from sun, doors sagging from weight, and burnt tires

Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Tech Droid

I like the part about burnt tires. I wonder how that happens?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Duh! From not using sun screen!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Droid

Love it!

Quick Reply: what are some typical problems with the camaro