What is SLP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: SLP SS or Not

I found this with a little searching, but it all seems a little strange, especially because nobody else happened to have a motor this powerful back then

Another 1992 Firehawk doing what it was built for. SLP did not start installing similar packages on Camaros till several years later and it would be quite a while before the Cobra would show up. 27 Firehawks were built in 1992. Red was the primary color that was offered but a single white one was built (see the very next entry below), a single blue one was built, 2 green ones were produced and I've been told the last hawk built was a convertible. Additionally, SLP ran out of the engines they had been using and got permission from GM to step up to a beefier LT1 that featured a 375hp 366cid block*.

*Thanks to Doug Ellis for the updated information.
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/hawklot1.htm

the thing that makes me really leary about info such as this is the ratings. they give no mention of what modifications were done other than "slp 315hp package". in the ls1 area they talk about the slp 345hp package [&:] what type of package makes a motor lose 5 hp?

the thing ive always been irritated with slp about is that they use the factory underratings as a marketing angle, their ratings really dont mean anything because they will rate them wherever they sound good. too many people say "its slp, they are a proven shop and they dyno test all of their products" well this is true, id bet every mod they make is tested on a dyno. that doesnt mean that putting these parts on YOUR car will give the same results.

K&N is also a proven well known company, but nobody in their right mind believes 20rwhp from a CAI. its marketing. i say all that just to make this point, we all know what it takes to make a 350tpi and an LT1 fast. if SLP didnt put those required parts on there to reach those numbers, i dont care what they rate it at its not true. the factory and the shop do not have a magical awesome sauce that increases hp with no mods

Old 03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear member

they were not stock internals, The Firehawks had different aluminum heads, T Ram intake, Bigger bore and stroke, slightly larger cam, Headers, CAI, full 3inch catback, Timing gears instead of timing chain, and underdrive pullies... I have raced one with my vette when it was stock, and this guy raped me by almost a second down the 1/4. Thats how I know they UNDERATE there HP ratings... Mind you I have 2:23 gears and he had 4:10's and a 6 speed... But still... they are un beleivably fast cars...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear member

the thing that makes me really leary about info such as this is the ratings. they give no mention of what modifications were done other than "slp 315hp package". in the ls1 area they talk about the slp 345hp package what type of package makes a motor lose 5 hp?

These were impliying to the Camaro T/A cars, as we all know, the base LS1 had 305 HP Ratings in the Camaro z28, SLP made an exhaust and intake, and it was a 315 HP car, then the SS was rated at 325 HP, SLP had another package that rated 345 HP for that car...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Actually Spec, your kinda off on this stuff. The 91/92 Hawks were indeed badass cars that SLP built and the mods were more than simple bolt ons. SOme even came with a roll bar, no rear seat, and a fuel cell, all installed by SLP. Only a handfull were built and they bring good money to this day.
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/02/16/t...bird-firehawk/

Old 03-27-2008, 12:02 PM
4th Gear Member

You might be a Ricer if, you are a skinny, backwards hat wearing, dog chain wallet, 2 ft wide pants leg, Limp Bizkit looking white boy ***.
Dude... i like Limp Bizkit... wtf...

Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: carguy_z28

the thing that makes me really leary about info such as this is the ratings. they give no mention of what modifications were done other than "slp 315hp package". in the ls1 area they talk about the slp 345hp package what type of package makes a motor lose 5 hp?

These were impliying to the Camaro T/A cars, as we all know, the base LS1 had 305 HP Ratings in the Camaro z28, SLP made an exhaust and intake, and it was a 315 HP car, then the SS was rated at 325 HP, SLP had another package that rated 345 HP for that car...
In my experiance (running a dyno) most all LS1's will dyno about the same (290-300+ rwhp). The engines pretty much all make the same 345-350 hp at the crank, whether they were installed in a Vette or F-body. GM (and SLP) rated the engines at whatever the marketing guys told them to. The SLP 345 hp package was nothing more than a lid and cat back, this will not add 20 rwhp. I have said this many times, and still I need to repeat it, the factory GM ratings of these engines were all marketing hype, don't buy into it.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Actually Spec, your kinda off on this stuff. The 91/92 Hawks were indeed badass cars that SLP built and the mods were more than simple bolt ons. SOme even came with a roll bar, no rear seat, and a fuel cell, all installed by SLP. Only a handfull were built and they bring good money to this day.
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/02/16/t...bird-firehawk/
ya, i did a little reading and saw the 366 that came in some of the 92s. ive never seen it but ill take ur guys word on it.

but carguy, when i talked about the 315hp package, the car that one was referring to was an lt1. the ls1 in the fbodies is a 350hp engine, they were rated at 305, which is meaningless because its an untrue number, this was to help vette sales or at least that is the commonly held theory. My Trans Am made 331rwhp with a lid,borla catback, and 2.5" catted ypipe on the stock tune. those mods at best are worth about 15rwhp. I have my dyno sheet scanned in the Horsepower sticky in general tech (which btw, u should go post up any scans you have, wed love to have them and you get put in the top 20 rankings)

thats why SLP's 345hp package is so funny to me, they claim you lose hp and the kit includes almost no power mods, it has their lid, a couple worthless parts, and a programmer. the package they sell now is the 350hp package which is all the same crap as the 345 that came on the firehawk, they just decided 350 sounds better. I like SLP's stuff and I would even buy it if it wasnt 1.5x more expensive than itneeds to be, but i dont beleive their ratings for a second. especially for the ls1 and lt1 cars, for some reason the 4th gens got screwed in the politics and marketing schemes or whatever

Old 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So what ALL did they do the the 96-97 camaro SS? And why didnt they make them as powerful as the Firehawk?

Old 03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Ninja Administrator

*btw*
carguy, u can hit the quote button above anybodys post to have an actual quote box so u dont need to just copy and paste.

another option is to hit the little tan colored word bubble above the formatting controls (its right between a <% button and the check spelling button or right below the green smiley face and above the bullets button whatever works) then copy the text in between the [ quote] [ /quote] tags that show up. I just noticed u quoted me by copy paste, just fyi

Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
2nd Gear member

Sorry, Ill argue that one, ive seen, raced and lost to, and driven them before, Lots of them around here... Well, not lots, but a few different years, in my Firebird club a few owners have them... They put out those numbers or better STOCK. No mater what anybody says... and as far as the T ram intake, yes it does, The TPI intake may look good, but its restrictive as ****, and the T ram makes 65 give or take HP. Seen dyno's of it, Contact dale adam's performace in Calgary Alberta... he has done a few of these swaps...

Quick Reply: What is SLP