what is silicon engine mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what is silicon engine mount?

Ok so after fixing my trany at AAMCO they said i need silicon engine mount and i agree coz i head my engine hitting the metal... BUT what is? silicon engine mount???

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Overdrive Member

its a newer type of engine mount material.Ive seen it mostly used on BMWs.Silicon is heat resistant,unlike rubber where it heats up very fast.Silicon also quiets the noise under the hood and engine vibrations caused by the roads you drive on.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alih
its a newer type of engine mount material.Ive seen it mostly used on BMWs.Silicon is heat resistant,unlike rubber where it heats up very fast.Silicon also quiets the noise under the hood and engine vibrations caused by the roads you drive on.
how much is it and where can i get it? AAMCO ordered it for me but i still need to know about it!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Overdrive Member

im not sure,im sure most parts suppliers would have them.If you dont trust them i dont know why you would have your vehicle at their shop.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alih
im not sure,im sure most parts suppliers would have them.If you dont trust them i dont know why you would have your vehicle at their shop.
i check auto zone and other stores and they never even heard of such part.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Overdrive Member

auto zone...yeah thats not a real parts store.Im not sure why they said you would need a silicone one, its a fairly new technology and its not commonly seen, but it is around.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Overdrive Member

They probably told him he needed the silicon one because it's more expensive so they can profit more off the part purchase...oops, did I just say that?

I agree with Alih, I don't know why you would need anything other than stock motor mounts, if you're breaking motor mounts you have some serious torque...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

this is what i got on my bill. ----->

1 new silicon cross member mount.

----

Clunk noise from under vehicle
The protect check diagnostic revealed: cross member mount: replaced cross member mount. motor mounts weak.

So wait my motor mounts are weak? so i need new ones?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

I sounds like they replaced your transmission mount, and those do have a tendency to break. Don't let them talk you into getting new motor mounts, yours are fine. I would have gone for a polyurethane transmission mount, but what's done is done.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
I sounds like they replaced your transmission mount, and those do have a tendency to break. Don't let them talk you into getting new motor mounts, yours are fine. I would have gone for a polyurethane transmission mount, but what's done is done.
lol you are always so late on your answers ....

Quick Reply: what is silicon engine mount?