What the hell is going on here??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll get my alt tested. Would that make it sputter/jerk when pressing the gas gently?

Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Had alt checked and came back good but said battery needs replaced. Gonna get a yellow top next week

Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I cant see how a bad battery can cause the gurgle noise and jerking

Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear member

It's not the cause but a possible contributor. Like a domino effect. Think of it this way, a good system puts out around 13.5 or so volts lets say. With a properly working alternator and good battery this remains relatively constant. If you have a bad alternator or bad connection then the volts go down and aren't at sufficient level. Every electrical part draws from the output from the battery and alternator. If those aren't putting enough volts out then the rest of the system isn't functioning at a normal level either since they aren't getting proper voltage. Basically that is what it could sum up as.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

If I switch out the battery and it doesn't solve nothing, I was thinking....could this be a rear end problem? Since the rear end pushes, could something be wrong in the back to make the gurgle and jerking?

Just a thought, but this is my first ever RWD car and I don't know a whole lot about them.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so is there a way to make the noise when your not going down the road so you can track it. is there a vibration that comes with the noise? the parts of the cat could have waited to brake apart in the exhaust or in the muffler. just took time for it to clog it. i would not rule out anything right away. what shape is the alternator belt in? have you had it scanned for codes?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

it only does it when driving, I tried to do it at idle but nothing.

it does vibrate a little. sounds a little rough at idle also.

alternator belt looks all right. i had that checked before.

whats weird is today when I first drove it, it ran fine until maybe 20min into driving and it started the sputtering and bogging noise.

it'll do it almost every time except rarely i'll be fine.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

The noise and jerking you describe, appears to be a miss. The miss could be caused by many things. A light throttle application miss sounds like it could be a TPS sensor. They become slightly dirty at a given spot sometimes causing the computer to misread the throttle position. There is a way to check this with voltmeter.
How to Troubleshoot a TPS sensor | eHow.com
This is a very generic description of the proceedure, but it will work.
other things that will cause a light throttle miss are a lean condition(usually caused by a vacum leak)

Old 10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Another update....at idle, you can hear a funny rattle noise up front on drivers side. I tried looking for it but can't pinpoint the location. I wonder if this is where the gurgle/boggle noise is coming from? Maybe its not in the middle/rear like I thought.

Any ideas? Something to.do with the air filter? How can I test to see if thats it? Take it off and let it idle? Or is that a bad idea?

I'll have him listen to the noise and see if he can find a vaccuum leak or see what the problem is.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Rattle noise I guess sounds like a marble being shook around in a plastic soda bottle.

Quick Reply: What the hell is going on here??????