What the hell is going on here??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What the hell is going on here??????

All right......I'm back.

I posted a while ago about a problem I was having, a long with catalytic converter questions. I had the cat replaced about 2 months ago (Magnaflow, to go with the rest of the exhaust.) After I replaced the cat, she ran like a champ........until last month.

Ok.....for those who don't remember......I have this slight jerking problem when gently accelerating. After I replaced the cat, it went away until 2 weeks after I replaced it.

So.....here's the symptoms. When I gently press the gas down, I can hear a "boggle/gurgle" noise that sounds like it's coming from the middle/rear of the car. When that is happening, the car "smoothly" jerks like it's not getting power. If I press it down more, the gurgle goes into the deep lovely sound of the Magnaflow exhaust and the jerking stops and shifts smoothly into the next gear. (Automatic)

Power sucks really bad also. When I first got it, it was faster than it is now. A lot faster.

When I floor the gas to pass someone, I notice the battery stick on the gauges drops down below half way and into the red zone, all my lights dim. Does this mean a bad alt. or battery? Or both? Or something else?

I talked to guys at Autozone, did hours of research on Google for this problem and the only thing I came up with is, EGR Valve, Throttle Position Sensor, Map Sensor, crack in manifold, my injectors needs cleaned/replaced, etc.

Or could this be a sign of a bad alt? Would that make a gurgle noise when gently pressing gas and causing it to jerk like it's not getting enough power?

And i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed there is a whining/hissing noise coming from the back exhaust on drivers side.

Or is this an exhaust problem. Surely the cat didn't get clogged that fast.

Plugs, wires, and fuel filter was changed a few months ago. I doubt it could be that.

any ideas before I go insane?

Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Tech Droid

The dropping voltage can cause all sorts of problems, such as low fuel pressure, weak spark, erratic computer, etc...
There are many reasons for the low voltage, such as a bad alternator or battery, slipping accessory belt, wires shorting out, loose or corroded connections. When you floor the pedal, the engine moves about and can bring in some electrical problems not noticed when the engine is in the normal position.
Happy hunting!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by Brayan99
All right......I'm back.

I posted a while ago about a problem I was having, a long with catalytic converter questions. I had the cat replaced about 2 months ago (Magnaflow, to go with the rest of the exhaust.) After I replaced the cat, she ran like a champ........until last month.

Ok.....for those who don't remember......I have this slight jerking problem when gently accelerating. After I replaced the cat, it went away until 2 weeks after I replaced it.

So.....here's the symptoms. When I gently press the gas down, I can hear a "boggle/gurgle" noise that sounds like it's coming from the middle/rear of the car. When that is happening, the car "smoothly" jerks like it's not getting power. If I press it down more, the gurgle goes into the deep lovely sound of the Magnaflow exhaust and the jerking stops and shifts smoothly into the next gear. (Automatic)

Power sucks really bad also. When I first got it, it was faster than it is now. A lot faster.

When I floor the gas to pass someone, I notice the battery stick on the gauges drops down below half way and into the red zone, all my lights dim. Does this mean a bad alt. or battery? Or both? Or something else?

I talked to guys at Autozone, did hours of research on Google for this problem and the only thing I came up with is, EGR Valve, Throttle Position Sensor, Map Sensor, crack in manifold, my injectors needs cleaned/replaced, etc.

Or could this be a sign of a bad alt? Would that make a gurgle noise when gently pressing gas and causing it to jerk like it's not getting enough power?

And i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed there is a whining/hissing noise coming from the back exhaust on drivers side.

Or is this an exhaust problem. Surely the cat didn't get clogged that fast.

Plugs, wires, and fuel filter was changed a few months ago. I doubt it could be that.

any ideas before I go insane?
I cant help you on the gurgling sound but from what I see, the jerking when accelerating,the loss of power, the "whining" from the drivers side rear all sound like the fuel pump is failing you, check your fuel pressure; or just replace the fuel pump(doesnt cost much)

Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think its the fuel pump. The jerking started back in march, but would do it every now and then, went away when I changed plugs-wires-fuel filter then came back, changed clogged cat then went away for a few weeks, now its so bad it'll do it every time. The car idles a little more rough than normal. Rpm stick stays on 1 at idle, it doesnt bounce around.

If it was the pump I think it would have died already.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Did you check your plugs again? I had the same problem with shuddering and bad idle. Turned out my opti cam sensor was bad and there were a few plugs which the puck had burnt/fallen off causing bad gap and misfires. I haven't finished mine yet, still doing front seals, pan gasket, and new opti with plugs but I hope this solves the shudder problem.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm having a mechanic look.at it friday. Hes gonna check the egr valve and tps as.well as map sensor. I'll have him check the opti cam sensor and.plugs and see if he can test the fuel pump just in case.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:18 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Fuel pump is what I'm thinking, that's 2 to 600 dollars just for the pump.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

How much did it cost to replace the opti cam sensor? If I tell the mechanic to check that also, what am I looking forward to? Where is it located and is it hard to check it & change it?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

If it was the fuel pump wouldn't it have died by now? I've first expierienced this problem back in march. Just now its getting worse.

There is also a constant vibration that you can feel mainly through the gas pedal & steering. Not bad enough to shake the whole car.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear member

You can't replace the opti sensor. It sits within the distributor and isn't a "serviceable" part. If it is faulty you would need a whole new distributor unit. You can search for other causes to your problems to rule out the opti. That is what I did, but all my searching didn't find me a solution. I am currently swapping out my opti, plugs, and wires again and hoping the sensor was the main cause. My opti I took off was trashed and oil and seeped into it and most likely fouled my sensor.

You can rule out the fuel pump by checking the pressure. Hook the gauge up to the schrader valve and turn the power on engine off, the pump kicks on and you should have anywhere between 41-47psi. Then, turn the engine on and the pressure should drop anywhere from 3-10psi. Turn the engine off and it should remain relatively the same. Also, you can tape the gauge to your windshield and go for a drive and monitor the gauge to make sure the pump can supply fuel efficiently when needed during your drive. Slow cruise, wot, various speeds etc.

Last edited by JGuy07; 10-23-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What the hell is going on here??????