What the fu-k! Crankshaft sensor went out again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default What the fu-k! Crankshaft sensor went out again!

I just did a FULL tune up on my car, done right this time! Highest grade spark plugs, new oil, filter, ignition coils and all that stuff. ANYWAYS the car starts up beautifully, I drive out of my apartment complex and it shuts off again just like before! Its the same exact symptoms I had when my crankshaft went out. Its only been a week since I've replaced it, wth could keep causing it to go bad? ANOTHER thing, one thing that is off about my car and stands out is this... http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1497&ppt=C0330 Notice how there is 4 cables that go to the alternator? WELL mine is rigged by the previous owner and there is only one cable running to the alternator, the other three are cut. Could it be that those cables might have touched and short circuited something? What do those cables even do? Damn guys... Please help me, I just spent way to much money doing this and ordering parts for this to continue happening to me.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:39 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

What year model trim and engine is your car?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like he rigged up a one wire alternator. Have you ever noticed if the volt gauge wouldn't be on the higher side of charge until you kicked the throttle to about 2 grand?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
H2C
2nd Gear member

Whats the purpose of the one wire alternator mod thing?

Old 11-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For newer cars it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. Older cars had a (sometimes unreliable) external voltage regulator, so if either the alternator or regulator went out, it could be a time to swap in a higher output one wire alternator, since it hooks up using only one wire to the battery. Some people like them, some don't. But not going with a factory style replacement in this case would be dumb.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The battery gauge is always on a good charge as soon as I turn the car, the alternator tested good and everything... So, that wouldnt affect anything would it?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

As for the actual Crank Shaft Position sensor, there should be no way in hell that I've gone through too already. What could be causing it? Please list every possibility if you can.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a short in the wiring, damage to the sensor maybe by the trigger disc. does the sensor looked damaged in any way?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is what I have found out about the Alternator.

95 3.4L ONE wire
96 3.8L ONE wire
99 3.8L ONE wire
00 5.7L ONE wire

O'reilly replacement has positions for all 4 wires in case your vehicle requires the other wires for sensors or lights. Not all GM vehicles need the extra wires My 04 and 06 Avalanche used 2 wires one for the guage and one for the DIC when voltage was low, it would give you the exact voltage reading.

As for the sensor have you checked your harness for damage or chaffed wires? I was helping someone the other day that had a pinched wire for the CKS and it would fail every now and then but work again later.

Massey

Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Is your car overheating? Could be a heat related failure, or wiring issues? What code(s) are you getting?

Quick Reply: What the fu-k! Crankshaft sensor went out again!