well...she's in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I like how I state something I have seen and watch happen for decades and you say Patially true. Am I partially lieing? Dana live in SC there are no deserts in SC, In fact its like a steam bath in the summer. I don't think road salt is an issue either. Most towns in SC don't even own a salt truck.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
On the subject of putting more money in a car than it's worth, I guess the next ones to receive an economics lesson should be those of us who like to add "mods" or "customizations" that they'll never get the money back for either. Just sayin!
That is different. We are building something to our own specs. We are changing the design on a hard to find car that is well maintained. She is putting together something that is bone stock that could be purchased for less money in better shape.

Ok I give up. I won't bug any more. Only time will tell but based on what I have seen in the last 30 years she will regret this repair. Whats the term? throwing good money after bad?

Oh and BTW I have about $9,000 in my 67 and about $2,300 in my 96, I have had my 96 for 3 years and 70,000 miles and my 67 is worth at lease 20k. None of my cars owe me anything

Last edited by Gorn; 02-09-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not just me, you, or our 1st generation cars. Take a look around here at how many dump money into their 4th gen's for headers, catback exhaust, intakes, wheels, etc. They already paid market value for their car, and will be lucky to get fifty cents on the dollar (if that) back on those extras, which is also a bad investment.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 02-09-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dont be discouraged gorn, if you didnt say it like it is the site would not be doing what its supposed to. we are more from the outside looking in and from that point of view you are right on. from the other side i have way more into the wildcat than its worth or ill ever get out of it. i have never looked at a car as an investment though soooo,,, so goes life and its limited in length, i have something i built with my own hands and it goes, sounds and looks great,,, to me. thing is i already had a 93 i could have started with but it was not in the greatest of shape body wise sooo like a guy,,, lol, i picked up another with a body in good shape but running gear was an unknown and built from there. there is not right or wrong here and im not sayin either just sayin it is our job as site members share our experiance

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cars are consumable goods. So far Dana has not mention an emotional attachment so far she has said she is fixing it because of the money she has all ready spent. That is bad logic I have heard before. Remember we are not talking about some kid spending his tax check to buy a set of header. This is a women trying to get a car that moves, turns and stops as it was intended. A poorly maintained car that has been ridden hard and put away wet is not a good fit for someone that needs to pay somone every time something goes wrong. It is perfect for a young kid that does not mind getting dirty every weekend and loves learning about cars. For him a heater core is $39.99 and if money is tight he can go pull one from someone parting out their car for $10.00. For Dana is $300-$500.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-09-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dana
I would never consider selling my car so it wont matter what it's "worth".
Sounds a bit emotional there to me. From her previous description, it sounds like the engine was the cars major bad point. And since I'm not there to see and hear her car, it wouldn't be my place to say it's worth getting rid of, or to chance buying someone else's headache as a replacement. The point I was making is this...which makes more sense, having a $3k car and dumping another $2k in aftermarket goodies (as many of us have done)? Or having a $3k car and putting $2k to fix the mechanical issues (as many of us have done)? Answer: neither one from an investment standpoint. But, neither one is wrong either, depending upon which side of the fence you're standing on.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I like how I state something I have seen and watch happen for decades and you say Patially true. Am I partially lieing? Dana live in SC there are no deserts in SC, In fact its like a steam bath in the summer. I don't think road salt is an issue either. Most towns in SC don't even own a salt truck.
Take a Geratol dude... Im not accusing you of lying or anything else. Your opening statement is clear. "How long a muffler lasts depends on how the car is driven". Thats a partially true statement. There are many other factors involved when determining the lifespan of a muffler or exhaust system.

Weather and raod conditions are key factors in the life of an exhaust system. You live in P.A. I know what your wheather looks like and how much salt is used in your area. I wasnt particularly referring to Danas situation. As a mtter of fact you state above its like a steam bath in the summer where she lives. My point exactly....

Youre not the only one on the forum allowed to add insight and comments. Everything you write down isnt the end all be all solution and the "only" possibility. Some of us have been around for a while as well as you have and seen situatons perhaps you have not.

Im a graduate of Denver Automotive & Diesel College (1992). I worked in the field for a long time and was lead fleet mechanic for Anheuser Busch where I oversaw 5 other mechanics and a fleet of 110 vehicles. Since getting out of the business, Im now a hobbyist and play with my cars for fun. Ive owned about 70 cars/trucks and have done mostly all the work, repairs and maintenance on them myself.

I respect your accomplishments as GM tech and the knowledge you have gained from being employed by them as well as their update training programs. If I add somrthing to a post or quote you and add something, its not an attack or jab at you. Its simply more information on the subject or a way to elaborate on what youve said.

Nothing Ive said on this forum isnt true or made up information. Just like you, I can speak from my own experiences and thats what Ive done.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
2nd Gear member

I didn't mean to start a fuss on here. I value each of your opinions, experiences and knowledge. That is why I pose my questions and issues on here.

Gorn to address your "emotional" questioning, I suppose you hit the nail on the head! I feel like I gave up on my z28. Because I went out and had 3 babies, I outgrew my baby (car). Our other vehicle was a 2 seater truck and I was talked into by everyone to sell the car for a 4 door car. It broke my heart. I honestly cried a lot and felt it wasn't fair. The mother in me had to grow up though. I feel like giving up on the current one is a betrayal. She was abused and I've taken her in to take care of her. I do understand I may always run the chance of dumping money but hopefully the tranny and motor will be good for a while.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Sounds a bit emotional there to me. From her previous description, it sounds like the engine was the cars major bad point. And since I'm not there to see and hear her car, it wouldn't be my place to say it's worth getting rid of, or to chance buying someone else's headache as a replacement. The point I was making is this...which makes more sense, having a $3k car and dumping another $2k in aftermarket. goodies (as many of us have done)? Or having a $3k car and putting $2k to. fix the mechanical issues (as many of us have done)? Answer: neither one from an investment standpoint. But, neither one is wrong either, depending upon which side of the fence you're standing on.
I love you lol. You've brought up something I never thought of. I have never been into mods. I think there's nothing worse than changing the wheels on the car for example. To me, the 4th gens are a cool looking car and don't need all of that. Thank you for seeing another side and for not being mean lol.

Oh for what it's worth, we haven't had snow here in 2 yrs and I wouldn't drive a camaro in wintery weather anyway but yeah, we don't salt roads lol. If we get ice/snow, they try to work on the problem after it falls. Our forecast is wrong 90% of the time if they're predicting it anyway so why waste pretreating it

Old 02-10-2013, 04:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

My oh my Dana what a fuss you started, LMAO.