Weird area between hood and windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM
4th Gear Member

tinypic.com works great very easy to join,? how much did you pay for this paint job ,sounds like a bad shop

Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM
4th Gear Member

show both sides dont look that bad from that angle,but for the bigger pic tinypic works great .did they paint the whole car or fade it in,looks like they took off the hood then may not have lined it back up ,2 guys can line it up pretty simple.they should offer to line it up take like 5 mintes if the car was not wrecked at some point ,or if it aftermarket hood ,like mine its not perfect but acceptable for what it is

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-26-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:09 PM

I was trying to take the pictures outside in the bright sun so I couldn't really see what I was doing. The driver side has about a 4" gap as you can see well in the first pic. But the passenger side is flush with the plastic. I'm attaching a picture where you can just barely see it, I don't think it will be too helpful. When you look at your car do the sides look even?

I'm not happy with the shop. They are supposed to be the best in the town where I live but I can tell that different people are getting different treatment. The owner's friends are getting these amazing classic car restorations and I am getting a runny, orange peeled mess. I keep pointing out all the issues and they keep saying they will fix them. Hopefully, it will work out

Attached Thumbnails Weird area between hood and windshield-screen-shot-2017-07-26-10.05.04-am.png  
Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM

Yours looks more even from the angle of the picture. I took it in because it got egged. Insurance was only paying for the fading so I told them to paint the entire car and I would pay the difference. I know they are getting about $5,000 between me and the insurance.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The bubbling sail panel issue from what I understand can't be stripped and painted. The bubbles will just happen again. The underlying issue is the adhesive used by GM to attach the sail panel to the chassis. You can find more info here about it (I hope it's ok to link to another site).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html

Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by nouturn20
The bubbling sail panel issue from what I understand can't be stripped and painted. The bubbles will just happen again. The underlying issue is the adhesive used by GM to attach the sail panel to the chassis. You can find more info here about it (I hope it's ok to link to another site).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...e-dummies.html
I read the same thing. I told them about it after the first bubbling issue but they had already sanded and primed everything and they said it was sticking. The paint will have a warranty so I figured I would cross that bridge if the paint bubbled again. Now, I just stressed about this large gap by the driver side windshield and hood. I don't know if I should push the issue with them or if it was like that I never noticed it.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

here are some pictures of my 2000 base.

Attached Thumbnails Weird area between hood and windshield-p7260086.jpg   Weird area between hood and windshield-p7260087.jpg   Weird area between hood and windshield-p7260089.jpg  
Old 07-26-2017, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by craby
here are some pictures of my 2000 base.
THANK YOU!!! That was exactly what I needed. I guess that gap was there but I just never noticed it before!

Old 07-26-2017, 09:11 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camarosrfun
they just painted it. First they painted it and the bubbles started again within a day. So they stripped it all the way down and primed it and repainted it. Hopefully that will be enough but after some reading I saw a lot of people needed to replace them.
Not good,this subject has been hashed over to death at LS1 Tech forums.
The consensus is the only permanent fix is replacing the panels completely.
Either new parts or from a pre 1998 car, they say early '98 is OK as the issue started mid year '98 when the factory started using a different glue on the panels that leaches through and lifts the paint. Many have tried and failed sanding down and priming and even fiberglass resign or carbon fiber.
1993-1997 donor car for parts would be where I'd go, I have found one parting out I hope to get the hardtop for mine from.
Sorry to say it but it's highly unlikely your paint fix is going to last.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K
Not good,this subject has been hashed over to death at LS1 Tech forums.
The consensus is the only permanent fix is replacing the panels completely.
Either new parts or from a pre 1998 car, they say early '98 is OK as the issue started mid year '98 when the factory started using a different glue on the panels that leaches through and lifts the paint. Many have tried and failed sanding down and priming and even fiberglass resign or carbon fiber.
1993-1997 donor car for parts would be where I'd go, I have found one parting out I hope to get the hardtop for mine from.
Sorry to say it but it's highly unlikely your paint fix is going to last.
I think you're probably right. I wasn't aware of that until after they had already re-painted it. I googled it after they said they were having problems. I knew my paint job was bad but I didn't know it was a known problem. I told them about it and they were so confident about the new paint. I don't know exactly what to do. The paint job will have a warranty so do I just go back every couple months? Also, that area was covered completely by insurance so I don't know if I need to let them know or what. I am extra upset because I actually took the car into the Chevrolet dealership for the bubbles under warranty back in 2002 or 2003 and they didn't properly fix the problem. I really want to call and give them a hard time but I don't think they could do anything and the same people probably aren't there. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Quick Reply: Weird area between hood and windshield