Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Water Pump

I went to get an oil change and they told me my water pump has a minor leak. What does that even mean??

Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That means instead of all the coolant staying inside the engine, the water pump is leaking some of it out. Generally it starts with a bad bearing and seal, where you can see a dribble trail coming from the weep hole on the pump, as viewed from underneath the car. Then it eventually turns into a gusher, and you're stranded overheating on the side of the road. You want to check it out between now (minor leak) and then (gusher).

Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Assuming it's an LT1, it will leak on the Optispark and cause that to fail too. Depending on the mileage, you may want to replace that anyway. Start saving!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't believe what they tell you at Jiffy Lube. Get a second opinion. It don't sound right that it would have a minor leak.

When a water pump goes, it usually because the bearings in the pump have worn out. If you have a trusted mechanic, pay a few bucks to make sure some minimum wage flunky isn't trying to sell you service you don't need.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 AM
2nd Gear member

Can you park on pavement etc and see anything dripping etc? Mine made a noise for several days and then gave completely while I was on a grocery run. Was on the upper end of $400 to fix it a couple of months ago.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by hooknladder
Assuming it's an LT1, it will leak on the Optispark and cause that to fail too. Depending on the mileage, you may want to replace that anyway. Start saving!
I agree with you 100% and a lot of people don't know that. I had a 93' Z28 that had the same issue. I found all of it out the hard way. Replaced the water pump and i thought it was all good... then later on... Id say about 2 months, the car would run til it got warm then die. Ended up being because the water pump and Optispark location. Regardless it was an expensive fix. I wish i would had this information when I had the car.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

At the dealership we are told that part of an oil change is to check the weep hole in the pump for staining. This is part of the 128 point check. Staining means the pump is starting to fail. They will stain months in advance of failure but if they stain they are going to fail soon. If you do not trust the mechanic by all means take a look yourself. If there is staining on the weep hole you should kiss the mechanic. He just saved you a few hundred dollars and a possible overheat that could have damaged the motor. It is not uncommon for a water pump failure to wipe out a Opti and cause a blown head gasket.

I have put water pumps on just about every car I have owned and I have never had a water pump failure. I check the weep hole with each oil change. Staining has always given me a heads up of a failure coming long before I lose coolant or before it would show up on ANY test.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What do you mean staining? Where exactly do I look for that on the water pump?? im not to handy with fixing cars to be honest and Im new to Camaro's I have had a mustang the past 6 years and still do have it..

Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

By the way my car has just over 52,000 miles on it. 52,300

Old 09-05-2013, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

if you look at the bottom of the water pump you will see a small hole. if you see what looks like water stains around this hole it means your water pump is on its way to failure.

Quick Reply: Water Pump