Warmseats seat heaters install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Overdrive Member
Post Warmseats seat heaters install

So I started my Cobraheat Warmseats seat heaters install today -- the RS is a year-round daily driver, snow, salt, ice and all!

Automotive Seat Heaters

I chose the waterproof versions, just on the safe side in case the t-tops are open and it rains, etc. I also bought a set for me SS Vert. -- good for those chilly days...

The process is very easy, just time consuming. The seats come out easily, and the covers come off pretty easily with some clips, and I used velcro to attach the heaters to the foam (there is some velcro there already to hold the seat covers on).

Wiring will be the fun part and figuring out a good mounting spot for the switches -- probably right below the upper cigarette lighter port.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-30-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Cool project, I look forward to seeing how this comes out, my RS is a daily too and 2 of my parents 3 cars have heated seats so I'm spoiled and would love to do this if they work well in my camaro. Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Overdrive Member
Lightbulb

A couple pictures...
Seat removed, some seat heater wiring shown:

Passenger Seat dissasembled, heater installed (I used Velcro, they sell a big kit in the crafts section at WalMart for ~$20.):

Now the big question, where to mount the switches? I am taking suggestions.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-28-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 PM
I Like to Party

Nice how much were those bad boys?and im thinking around the center dash is a good area, like you said around the lighter port

Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 PM

I just finished the same install. I couldn't figure out how to get the switches that far forward in the center console, and ended up mounting them just in front of the cup holder and behind the shifter.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Overdrive Member
Please post some pictures of your switch install, also where did you link in for switched power? Have pictures of that too?

You can get more wire length depending on where you attach the module under the seat -- obviously you want it as close to the center console side and front, if that's the direction you're going...

Also to 4thGen4Lyfe: Mike Meister from Cobraheat will sometimes negotiate the price down a bit (maybe $10 off, sometimes free shipping in summer when sales are slow) if you ask before you order. Be sure to do both front seats -- your passenger/girlfriend will thank you.

Here's a pic of the wiring added under the Driver Seat (seat heater already installed) I took the opportunity to hit the tracks with some satin black rust protection spray since some parts of the the metal had rust:

Originally Posted by schulzmc
I just finished the same install. I couldn't figure out how to get the switches that far forward in the center console, and ended up mounting them just in front of the cup holder and behind the shifter.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-29-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you can't reach why not just splice in more wire

Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Please post some pictures of your switch install, also where did you link in for switched power? Have pictures of that too?

Here's a picture - I'm pleased with how this worked out.

Name:  6b68e1d9.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  36.7 KB

I tied into the yellow switched power lead for the radio. Originally I wanted to use the cigarette lighter power feed, but discovered that it is not switched. I was worried that I might overload that circuit, but it hasn't (and I've run the seat heaters quite a bit to test). I was also worried about putting noise into the radio, but nothing there either.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Overdrive Member
Question

Thanks for sharing -- looks very clean! Do you find yourself bumping those buttons in that location accidentally with your arm, or do passengers? That would be my one reservation, since there's not a depression there, so they can't be recessed...

So how did you determine that 12 Volts DC, 10 Amps continuous current, and ~70 watts per seat (two front seats, so 140 watts total) extra was available from that wiring location? Or did you just pray and hope it works? Have you run both heaters on high with the radio at the same time and no issues?

Originally Posted by schulzmc
Here's a picture - I'm pleased with how this worked out.

I tied into the yellow switched power lead for the radio. Originally I wanted to use the cigarette lighter power feed, but discovered that it is not switched. I was worried that I might overload that circuit, but it hasn't (and I've run the seat heaters quite a bit to test). I was also worried about putting noise into the radio, but nothing there either.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 AM

No problem at all with people bumping them. No one even comes close to them. With arms resting on the arm rest area the console slopes down there.

Regarding the radio circuit - it's a 20 amp fuse so I figured there should be plenty there. I did put 10 amp fuses for each pad. I've run both seat heaters on high for 30 minutes with the radio playing and no issues at all.

Quick Reply: Warmseats seat heaters install