Warm rad cap spewed coolant down radiator 50 inch circumference round pool of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Warm rad cap spewed coolant down radiator 50 inch circumference round pool of coolant

Lately noticed that coolant under radiator cap isn't at top lid brim area even after adding coolant 2 days back even though it's at good levels in reservoir tank tube. So yesterday I thought radiator cap was just warm, i then opened it and it shot coolant near battery and front left corner then flooded down my radiator it then left a 50 foot circle of green 50 50 coolant under my car. It turns off and on again with no problems. My repair shop guy said no prob but I can clean it off if I want, just don't get near the fan belt. Looks like I got to buy a $12 bottle of 5050 and empty the whole thing in. Since after I added 40 % of coolant after this little disaster into the coolant reservoir and it didn't rise up-didn't make a dent in more coolant level. Anyone see any latent problems? Like funky coolant where it shouldn't be? I know the cardinal rule is wait but I thought the rad cap was cool enough. Btw what's the best 5050 coolant for a 4th gen 3.4 v6? Gonna wash the whole motor by a pro but there's always a risk of electrical problems post-under-the-hood-wash? Anyone know who does this good? Like a chain or franchise shop? Thanks members have a good weekend.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 AM
4th Gear Member

good day big cat .they hold more then one gallon like close to 2 did you get the other problem fixed

Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
good day big cat .they hold more then one gallon like close to 2 did you get the other problem fixed
I'm taking both oil leaks: 1) rear main seal that involves 4 hrs of work & transmission removal to get to rear main seal and 2) oil cooler oil leak and dye test for $520 instead of $620 here in the main part of San Diego. The $520 less expensive work will be done by a guy I'm giving a chance at to build a relationship and switch things up a bit. Gorn said that the market value of repairs pass a point so the cheaper the better. At worst he is a highly qualified D I Y mechanic.but my qualified American- born freelance mechanic swears by him. It will be done on California side right next to Mexican border where auto shop rent is cheap. So 95 406 I will buy 2 jugs of 50 50 Monday when I get paid. It's a tight budget weekend. So it could be better. I wish i could pay $2000 up front and not worry about nickel and dime problems happening every 3 or 4 months or more frequently that 2k upfront and peace of mind for 7 years would be worth it. Peace

Last edited by CamBigCat; 09-22-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:47 PM
4th Gear Member

i hear you ,there comes a time with all cars ,that we have to say ,if we love the car we fix it ,if to big an issue comes up ,then one day you may want to look at a 3800.i just sold my 99 with 87k miles with some work needed ,but sound running engine for 2k,,was a good car ,right now i know where you live they cost more but wont hurt to look ,for one ,the 3800 also has so many for ready parts avaiable an will for years ,you could look forward to something ,or dream like i do ,as much as i love my 406 ss clone,used to be an lt1 z28 ,i still want a 98-02 ss car stock ,i think it can be done ,stock ,no hot rods they can be a pain to keep running i have to admit ,i need to find that guy that wants an gen 1 motor in 4th gen car an alot of extras ,i will find that guy or he will find me , so going to put up for sale an just see ,this winter what i may get for it ,if i can get 7k for it then save about 3 k ,should get me in a nice ss ,got to shop till you drop,heck last winter i missed 2002 ss 35th with 59k for 6k was a steal almost

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-24-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Always squeeze the large coolant hose before pulling a radiator cap. You would feel the balloon effect on the hose if there is pressure. Keep in mind that pressure can form from the block before the radiator gets hot. It is so ingrained to me to check for pressure the other weekend I was with a friend at a you pull it lot and I grabbed the hose before I pulled the cap on a car with weeds growing around it, he got a laugh out of it.

Funny what first degree burns over 20% of you body will make you remember, I never did find that radiator cap.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Hey

Originally Posted by Gorn
Always squeeze the large coolant hose before pulling a radiator cap. You would feel the balloon effect on the hose if there is pressure. Keep in mind that pressure can form from the block before the radiator gets hot. It is so ingraIined to me to check for pressure the other weekend I was with a friend at a you pull it lot and I grabbed the hose before I pulled the cap on a car with weeds growing around it, he got a laugh out of it.

Funny what first degree burns over 20% of you body will make you remember, I never did find that radiator cap.
sorry 2 hear. With dental work I was looking at $5k here in San Diego the dds justified it with modern x ray equipment etc so I was forced to go to a Tijuana dentist and pay like $1200. But I love my camaro more than a lot of things including my teeth. Lol. But seriously the dude on the California side near the border who I will entrust on 2 oil leak repairs--his repair shop rent is $500 a month us dollars while it's $3500 a month here in san diego ca, for a well known trusted yet pricey mechanic

Last edited by CamBigCat; 09-26-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:52 AM
4th Gear Member

but if your young enough the day will come when you concider another,12 year with mine now ,yes i have to concider an ls1 car ,as the hot rod thing is a pain in the neck puting it back together today a faulty spring more labor then anything ,puting it up for sale for the few guys that would love a carbed engine, with all the cyber attacks on cars ,i got a new 2017 jeep an found out they can hack to get control of the new computer controled cars for real ,not like the 4th gen but like 2009 on up use alot of software upgrades

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-27-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
but if your young enough the day will come when you concider another 12 year with mine now ,yes i have to concider an ls1 car ,as the hot thing is a pain in the neck puting it back together today a faulty spring more labor then anything ,puting it up for sale for the few guys that would love a carbed engine with a,l the syber attacks on cars ,i got a new 2017 jeep an found out they can hack to get control of the new computer controled cars for real ,not like the 4th gen but like 2009 on up use alot of software upgrades

You do a lot of additions and mod's.

I would just save up $5k and get a $5k loan payable over 3 yrs at $150 a month, that's the price of high speed fiber optic web with no download limits and cable tv. The digital switch was mandated unilaterrally by Congress with the help of cable industry lobbyists, where is it necessary to have digital tv??

$150 a month over 3 years you get a $5k loan smack it onto the $5k savings equals $10k, you worse case scenario sell a car here in Calif. as part of the vehicle retirement / recycle program for a miniumum of $1,500 and you buy a more modern hot rod at $11K after taxes and title.

I would like to try a Ford Mustang 2011 on edition, but by that time for me a 2018 Ford Mustang would be $11k

After you pay that 3 year $5,000 loan, you can get probably a $10k loan cos ur credit will be so good and buy a nice $10k trailer home and pay $400 in lot fees a month or less

that's what i plan on doing. an $11k more modern hot rod you probably get something u never have to worry about passing smog every 2 years here in california (always a concern)...and you get like 80k miles; i drive 9,000 miles a year so it'd be worth it after 10 years I would have still just 170,000 miles on her.

The Ford Mustang is the most affordable modern hot rod, Dodge Challenger is way out there and after the Chrysler-Fiat merger it's not even truly an American car

As Gorn, mentioned the real muscle cars are like the 70 Old's Cutlass with amazing whiplash pick up acceleration power. Not these Camaro's F. Mustang Ponies and such.

I'm beginning to think the Camaro is good but it was released in '67 not a good year Karmic wise world wide. It's like a sleeper kind of make. The quiet cousin of The Corvette.

Although I've had a 94 Camaro and a 93 Camaro the 1st one was a T-top emerald green, this one's fire engine red.

Anyway that's my take.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:14 PM
4th Gear Member

thanks but .no loans for me cash is king dealers these days want us to finance as they get better insentives but over all but dont make much on new cars, they make there money on used ones . people pay more to finance ,yes they will sell it cheaper if you do,but it still never added up for me allways paid more makeing payments ,,if i dont have it ,i dont buy it ,even the jeep i paid cash ,instead of paying 28k over 5 years Aprox say,i would be paying like 6k in interest wich is low but there hidden charges allways had me thinking ? why am i paying more then it adds up to on my calculator, ,as to the 22k out the door,now for you 5k could get you a very low miles 3800,i seen one on CL yesterday 28k on the car sweet red too 2002,$4300.00 best offer cheap,me i will get what i can for mine ,before to much time goes by ,then rely on my jewelry sales .an football card sales this winter to help offset ,an hope to stuff the matteress,i am that type of guy ,only have a bank account for paying bills,dont trust them ,there is no interest to be made anymore on say 50k,at one time back in 2006 was geting 6.6 interest was makeing me 12k a year back then had more to like 5 times that,now it would add up to hundereds only is nothing,keep us updated big cat i want red if i can find another one ,but when it comes down to it i will take any color for the right price ,even black or pewter wich i am not fan of ,but they all clean up nice

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 09-27-2017 at 05:30 PM.